El Camino Central Forum banner

Kris Horton's design viewed by GM Brass!

5K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  joe'80 4spd 
#1 ·
Just got my new PHR (Popular Hot Rodding) magazine issue in he mail.

There is a story showing PHR handing over art work from Kris to the GM Brass. Because of the overwhelmingly postive feedback from readers across this nation GM is looking very close at his renderings of a new possible retro F-Body Camaro! One step closer to production? I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Way to go Kris, and so glad your a member here with us!

One of your biggest fans....Dave

PS...nice '66 El Camino featured in the issue also! :p

#5 ·
The only problem I see from Chevy making this car or any other concept for a new Camaro is the new Mustang that Ford is coming out with. The new Mustang is posting some big HP numbers (so they say). Not that Chevy has a problem with that with the LS1/LS6 motors sitting in there parts bin. The problem is will Chevy want to make a Camaro that will now approch the Corvette in performance numbers to stay ahead of the new Mustang?

Dave

#6 ·
i like the new mustang. yes thats right i like it! i dont care what any of you think. it is a cool looking rear wheel drive car with a real engine in it. if chevy made a new car that wasnt ugly i might like them, but due to ugly camaros, insanely expensive vettes and a front wheel drive sickness infecting the entire automobile industry, ive turned my eyes to ford. andf thier new f150 frame kicks ass.... please dont hate me....

#7 ·
motorbreath,

No one hates anyone here! :) (I think)

Wow...where do I start. Not to start a debate on what anyone likes or dislikes but I have to jump in here and say...

I also have my problems with GM and there marketing at the moment.

I also love the new design of the retro style Mustang soon coming out. I find the the 2004 Mustangs and earlier years ULGY! I love the looks of the '67 thru '70 older Mustangs. Maybe that is why I give the new Mustang coming out a thumbs up on its retro styling based on those older model years! (Not here to talk about full-size trucks at all.)

Saying that....Kris Horton's rendering of a new retro Camaro BLOW'S THE NEW FORD MUSTANG AWAY!!! Ford spent huge $$$ with a huge team from Fords best design team. Kris is ONLY 19 YEARS OLD!!! His work has car buffs across the nation in ahh of his designs! Of course a rendering is one thing and a production model is another. Ford has the Mustang Chevy has no Camaro.

The new Corvette....Until Ford's GT40 comes out, come on the Corvette is still the American performance king, an awsome car and has the performance numbers to back it up! The bang for the buck IS VALUE IN $$$ compared to any of the newer cars made today! Take a ride in a Z06! Sit down shut up and hold on! :p

2002 Camaro...The last Camaro built in production was a beautiful car! Better in looks than any newer Mustangs... Ever peroid!! The 1997-2002 Camaro SS KILLS MUSTANGS in LOOKS and PERFORMANCE through those years!!! Ford out sold Mustangs hands down compared to Camaros, but I see a TON of woman driving, sick can't get out the way V6 Mustangs were most of the production numbers are!

I'm running in the 12's with "MY" 2000 Camaro SS LS1 with simple ad on's! Remember the new Ford's are getting there bigger HP numbers from added on superchargers. If Chevy ever puts a supercharger on an LS1/LS6 well....Ford is praying the Camaro SS does not come back!

I know, were here to talk El Camino's....sorry just venting as I love Camaro's also.

Again, just my 2 cents here on this! Hey don't hate me! :p

Dave

#10 ·
i was talking with my father tonight and we where discussing this and dont hate me i hate that damn new mustang looks like crap imo. Yes better numbers but nothing a chevy fan can handle out on the road. A girl in my class got a 2003 mustang (parents purchased it BULL SHITi SAY) and she thought it would whoop any car at your Highschool we have a small highschool of 60 kids 9th-12th. so me and my friend got a 73 Nova with a modest 307 and challeneged her must i continue with her surpise when this Nova whooped that mustand :p . But back to story, Dad was saying y chevy just dont bring back the chevelles and el caminos and put the nice V8's in them like 350s and 454s and if they must use fiberglass thats fine but he figured theyed have a good market for these vehicles i know i would purchase a 2010 Chevelle SS 454 SuperCharged from my local chevy dealer. I will always buy Chevy but if i must ill purchase a oldsmobile or pontiac for obvisious reasons. I have seen dodge cool performece out 1994 Dodge engine blew in 1997.......... the last Ford pickup rear end transmissiona nd engine fell apart after 2 or 3 years and me and my father have never had a problem with Chevy. LONG LIVE CHEVY :) Plz point no heat toward me i beg of u :cry:

#11 ·
Not holding my breath...

Hey guys, that's pretty cool! I haven't gotten my issue of PHR yet, but I have heard from several people about this article. I'm not holding my breath for GM to contact me. As cool as it would be, GM would be more likely to "borrow" my design and change it around until it's their own.

I'm still plugging away though, I've got a Mopar concept coming out in a month or two in PHR that might be (hopefully) as well recieved as the Camaro. I spoke with John Hunkins (editor, PHR) at SEMA the day after he handed the binder off to GM and he told me that there were over 300 responses from readers filed in it and the cover latter stated that the PHR mail system was clogged due to the feedback, almost all of which was positive!

Maybe Mopar will be listening, but I'll always be a Chevy guy. :D

Kris

#14 ·
I was born into a die hard Ford family, and am proud to say that I am the first in the family to own a Chevy (whoop whoop) but... (please dont hate me for saying this) my favorite car of all time, my dream car, is a '66 mustang fastback. Ever since I was like 4 i wanted that car, and still do, and maybe, just maybe, one day I will own one. But after saying that i must make it very clear that i hate Ford, hate them with a passion. Every vehicle they have made since 1976 are crap. Now all they are good for are the older model expeditions and heritage model F150's. Then a year or so ago they suprised me, and announced two cars that are actually decent. No, better than decent, the new mustangs and the GT40's are down right COOL, but that is no where near enough to change my mind about Ford. But Chevy's new cars kinda suck too. So i have come to my own conclusion... until Detroit get its butt into gear, buying a classic is wayyyyy better than getting anything from either one of the two companies or foreign cars (the automotive anti-christs). But thats just what i think.

#15 ·
All new cars suck period. Who in their right mind would pay a small house amount for a car! Buy older at a good price & modify it the way you what. You can end up with a nice reliable car for a faction of new car price. I do have a 95 Quest for my wife to drive but that is the newest I would want. I regulations with the OBD-11 computers is too much.

#16 ·
Hyperlazyass,if I didn't look at the name,I would have thought I made that post! Wanna hear something that sucks? My dad had a '66 Fastback with the GT option and a Hi-Po 289 that he bought new. It got stolen back in '72 and they found the shell of it in Brooklyn. I'd give a nut for that car today.

#18 ·
Tommy said:
All new cars suck period. Who in their right mind would pay a small house amount for a car!
i agree with you, but old cars require constant maintanence. this is a fact. and my girlfriend is not a mechanic and i dont want her driving the elky, and the choke stop workin, and she'd be out in the styx with cletus shuvin a stick in my carb. :evil: i like the look of the new mustang, i like the V8 :twisted: , i like that is rear wheel drive, and i would want a new(er) car for her. my dad has owned 3 mustangs in his life all of them pre-1970....

#19 ·
I do agree, some of the new cars suck a**. Dont get me wrong, i love Chevy also but u have to admit, the SSR is an ugly peice of poo. I went to a car show with my father and checked one out. They have their ups and downs. (i cant think of any ups, sorry) I was reading an article about it in Car and Driver and it is soooo slow. It only comes with automatic trans. I mean come one people of America, we need some excitement in our lives without it making us bankrupt. Most car companies today are only trying to make money. I believe that GM should make the El Camino, Chevelle, Nova, and all those other great classics again. But they shouldnt be all "new and improved" cuz then they just look ugly and 'spacy'. They have a new concept for Holden and its called the UTEster...Aussie Elky...i hope the link works but if it doesnt go to www.holden.com

I do love Chevy alot and i dont mean to get on anybodys bad side so i apologize for anything that makes people angry. Also, to criticize ford, the only vehicle worth having ever is the GT40 because it is fast. But otherwise, i loooooove my elky!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.