El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 72 El Camino, just got an L83 engine with an 8L90E trans from a 2017 Chevy Silverado. Has anyone done this swap? Any pointers on issues encountered?

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
I was planning to do the same swap into my '87 El Camino. After researching the difference between the Gen IV and Gen V, I decided you stay with the Gen IV for now. There is too much that needs to be done to make the Gen V work. Completely different fuel system, no P/S pump, tuning questions, etc. I am using a LS3 with 6L80E. Much easier swap.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Anything bigger than a 4L60E is almost certainly going to require floor pan surgery. There may also be a separate transmission control module required for that trans.

Also not sure but that engine may require a drive-by - wire throttle pedal.

Probably e-fans behind the radiator. Definite drive shaft length change and possibly a different yoke.

Best to use an electric in-tank fuel pump here.

Also not sure about driveline angles towards the differential.

Many aspects to this. The older Gen 3 LS engines have greater vendor support.

Rick

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Almost no difference between Gen III and Gen IV except DBW throttle, Different CPU and 6L80E trans has the TCM internal to the Trans. Gen III's have a separate TCM and Cable throttle. Some Gen IV's have DOD/Cylinder Deactivate and/or VVT. Plenty of support for Gen IV.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Almost no difference between Gen III and Gen IV except DBW throttle, Different CPU and 6L80E trans has the TCM internal to the Trans. Gen III's have a separate TCM and Cable throttle. Some Gen IV's have DOD/Cylinder Deactivate and/or VVT. Plenty of support for Gen IV.
not quite true. the biggest difference is the availability of DOD and that can make a HUGE difference. a lot of people I know doing the GenIV swap tend to de-activate the DoD functionality as their research has found it is just not worth the hassle. IIRC another difference is the number of teeth for the timing ring

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/0901gmhtp-ls1-ls6-ls2-ls3-l99-ls4-ls7-ls9-lsa-engine-history/

The most distinguishing differences between Gen III and Gen IV cylinder blocks are larger bores (on some engines), different camshaft position sensor locations - indicated by a move to the front timing cover area on Gen IV blocks vs the top-rear position on Gen III blocks - and, on most Gen IV blocks, cast-in provisions for GM's Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivation system in the lifter valley.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts