El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'd like to see some updated info. So, does anyone own an '87 with a VIN higher than 914851. This would be an August 1987 or later production model. I recently saw an ad for an October '87 model, but no VIN info was listed. Does anyone really know when the production line in Mexico shut down?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have seen some listed as 1988's.....

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Please,lets not go here again , look back through the archives !! its in there there are NO 88 models and never was.:texas:

·
Registered
388 Posts
PLEASE! NOT AGAIN! The official word from GM is THERE WERE NO 88 el caminos or caballeros.
Please,lets not go here again , look back through the archives !! its in there there are NO 88 models and never was.:texas:
I know that!! All I said is that I've seen some listed as 88s.

·
Registered
388 Posts
And these people telling you this will probably love to inform you about the 1961 El Camiono also....:poke:
No one is telling me anything. Well, except for you guys here. I've seen ads that list the vehicle as 1988, that's it, that's all, I never said that they exist. How many times do you think I need to be 'schooled'?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ENOUGH ALREADY!!! Everyone knows there are NO 1988 Elkys, no one said there were. Could we PLEASE get back to the original posting?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rumor has it the last El Camino produced went into the GM archives.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,778 Posts
Someone here has the screen name Next to Last 87, maybe he can answer the original question?
My Dad ordered this Camino on a Friday. The last day you could order one !
received from GM on 8/11/87 with 6 miles on it ! 13742

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yeah, that's the same discussion you get when you mention a '64 Mustang. There weren't any. That sort of thing falls under the "only of interest to fanatics" information.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I guess that makes me a "fanatic". Although, I prefer to think of this thread as a contribution of information to the history of the El Camino.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
Sorry you're getting a hard time for asking the question, someone is starting an El Camino Registry and that might eventually help answer your question.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm just starting an El Camino Registry for all 164 through 1987 El Caminos to go along with my other Chevelle-related registries. I've mainly been into the 64-72 Chevelle era but have decided to expand my horizons with the El Camino. I haven't looked at the history section here yet but I'm sure it's accurate. :beer:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just looked at the history section and did find some problems that may have already been addressed but just not fixed by the author.

In 1966 (the supercar era) the El Camino was offered with RPO 135 which represented an SS396 El Camino with a 325hp, 396cid V-8. Also available was the 350hp version of the 396cid V-8.
This is not really correct. The correct RPO code is L35, not 135. This did NOT represent an SS396 El Camino. The SS396 series El Camino only lasted one year, 1968. In 1969 and 1970 the SS396 became an option and in 1971 and 1972 any optional V8 engine was required for the SS Equipment option. Additionally, the 350hp 396 engine noted in the statement was the horsepower rating for the 1967 L34 engine, in 1966 the same L34 was rated at 360hp.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts