El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I'm considering starting with the rear end first to handle future big block power. Currently dreaming of Vortec 454 with FI and overdrive.

I figure the truck is light, especially in the rear. I was going to stay value oriented at first and box the rear control arms and do some boxing of the frame. I figured keeping a very tall ratio like a 3.0 would make it a high speed highway cruiser with excellent torque control. Currently running 8.5 wide with wheel adapters. I could fit 10s easily.

Can I take a late model LSD 12 or 14 bolt Chev truck rear end and cut axles and tubes to size? Would I measure drum to drum to figure out width?

Thanks

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,948 Posts
People say ! If you have the money & time You can do almost anything ! :dontknow:
There is a member that has a corvette rear setup !! :beer:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like this one on craigslist today:

GM 14-bolt differential, six lug, for Z-71 pickup with towing package
From late 1980s to early 1990s
47 inches from spring center to spring center
Available with 3:42, 3:73 or 4:10 gear ratio (or other custom for additional fee)
Limited slip with new brakes $800

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wheel bolt patern on axles is an easy fix...
You pull the studs, weld up the holes, turn it true on a lathe, and re-drill the holes...Simple:poke:

Those truck axles are the strongest thing GM made...I don't think anyone ever screwed with them because the are as heavy as the rest of the car...

·
Registered
555 Posts
Nothing wrong with building the rear end first. Its alot better than picking up ring gear teeth off the street and calling for a tow truck. Our trucks are not as light over the rear wheels as some people think. I don't know much about G bodies. Do they not have full boxed frame rails?

You can put whatever kind of rear end you want in your Elco. I think that 14 bolt is complete overkill and unnecessary. I say go with a 12 bolt. There are so many manufactures out there that sell complete rear ends that will bolt right into your car (Summit, Currie, Moser, Strange). Have you considered this? I would also consider putting a 9" in it as well. 12 bolts are stronger than hell, but 9" are stronger.

Width is going to be measured from axle flange to axle flange.

·
Registered
238 Posts
When I was talking about the bolt flange I meant the one that holds the axle in the housing.

It is about 3-4" in diameter. Not sure if you can easily modify it to accept a standard car wheel.
I thought about taking the 14 bolt from the truck I pulled my motor from but this put me off it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
As we have spun off a bit...Anyone know if it is possible to fit new axle tubes & axles on the 14 bolt center section to eliminate the large bolt flange issue?

If you are shortning an axle for Tubs etc. anyway this would make a super strong assembly...and 14 bolt housings are everywhere, unlike 12 bolt...Just a thought...

·
Registered
555 Posts
As we have spun off a bit...Anyone know if it is possible to fit new axle tubes & axles on the 14 bolt center section to eliminate the large bolt flange issue?

If you are shortning an axle for Tubs etc. anyway this would make a super strong assembly...and 14 bolt housings are everywhere, unlike 12 bolt...Just a thought...
You can chop the axle tubes and weld whatever you want on the end and get custom axles and brakes for it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is definitely the best deal I've seen. $45 shipping and even mentions complete packages starting at 715. I'd probably send someone we know around there to check the guy out before dishing out that much but seems way legitimate.

Killer deal! Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree that sounds like a great deal!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts