El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I moved to Texas many years ago, I soon met up with a countrified veterinarian who had a simple manner of describing complex things. When I attempted to describe what was wrong with my puppy in a long drawn-out dissertation, intending I suppose to impress her with my self-importance, she quickly interrupted me, saying “…so it’s just an ADR, huh?” Seeing the puzzled look of my face, she finally let me off the hook by stating, “So, she just Ain’t Doin’ Right, huh?”

My friends, in many areas of the Association, we’re suffering from ADR. I could write a lengthy dissertation to explain what I believe to be wrong, but in the simplest terms – we’ve got the ADRs because we’re lacking leaders in key areas, and we’re not motivating the members to drive the Association forward. We have 9 of 25 Regions without Regional or Deputy Directors in place, and we lack sufficient Deputies in other major Regions of the membership. We’re approaching 30,000 members, of which 3,000 to 4,000 are active over the one-year periods. We’re missing opportunities to connect with El Camino owners across vast swaths of our membership areas, and we’re missing opportunities to develop newly registered members into active and contributing members every day we continue without leaders in place. Think of the untapped potential of knowledge and experience that we may be missing with many of these registrants. Go here to view those Regions with vacant Regional or Deputy Directors: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=208354.

The goal of this post is to motivate members who are interested in becoming leaders of this Association to step forward. Even if you don’t want the responsibilities of a Director’s position, you can still have a major impact on our activities. The life-blood of our Association is the small events that draw our members together. Meetings over coffee (or other beverages), car shows, and other smaller gatherings drive those members to turn out to larger and larger events. I recently posted a 2017 Action Plan for review by our Board of Directors. This plan lays out what I believe we should be doing, and proposes proven ways to accomplish that plan. Success of that plan relies on both our leaders and our membership – neither can accomplish the goals of the plan independently. I will post a complete copy of that Action Plan for every member’s review, and ask that you commit to follow the plan as you are able to. Go here to review the plan: http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?p=2170841#post2170841

If you do feel motivated to step up to a leadership position, please contact me at [email protected], or on the forum at user name “kenrogers1”. I will let you know more about the expectations of our leaders within the Association, but you can glean much of what is expected from a review of the Action Plan…………….……Ken

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Challenges.............

No one up for a challenge?...................Ken
:patriot:​

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No Responses Thus Far

In the almost 2 weeks that this Thread has been posted, close to 300 members have viewed the message and the companion Thread "2017 NECOA Action Plan". My expectations were that I would hear from several members who would at least inquire about specific responsibilities or if they would qualify. Well, the results are in. NADA! Not a single member has inquired - and not a single member has opted to post a message in response to my message. NADA! Interestingly, the companion Thread about our Association's 2017 Action Plan received exactly the same response. NADA! No comments about the plan, if any member agreed with the initiatives discussed - or disagreed. NADA! No members stepped up to say they would like some help to organize an event in their area. NADA!

I dearly wish there was some magic button I could push when help is needed around our Regional areas. But, the button never materializes, so I'm left to search out prospective leaders who will step up - this is an Association of volunteers, so we do not have forced conscription. Over the past few months, I've reached out to 10s of the most active and prolific members located in the areas where we need help most - with one single success. Many of those reached out to with multiple personal messages did not have the courtesy to respond - NADA! Many of those who did respond to the personal messages had valid reasons for their inability to step up - and I understand. But when well over 300 members cannot pen the most simplest response to personal messages or the Threads I'm discussing, I see that as a sign of disrespect for our Association and for the leaders currently in place that dedicate thousands of hours each year toward making this THE Association of El Camino owners.

I've been a member for almost 9 years - over 7 as a volunteer leader in some capacity - and I'm more disappointed with our membership and discouraged about our future than at any time in the past. We need to continually incorporate new blood into our leadership ranks - new people mean new ideas, and new energy to bring activity to those areas where little to none now exist. I'll leave this open for a few more days, then close the Thread as a lost cause.................I've a long drive this weekend, giving several hours of thinking about where to go next, or to not go.............Ken

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
...if I had an airport nearby for da sites executive jet to land at...
Seriously I read your posts, and when I retire in 850 days I'll raise my hand. :wink:

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,047 Posts
I am Sorry for not responding sooner. I read, and agree with the plan of action for 2017. I am willing to do my part to further improve the quality and activity of membership in my area. I also like to believe every member would be willing to do their part to keep this a family feeling place, and gatherings as more like a reunion for the "go-to" place for anything related to our rides. Thanks Ken for your leadership shown in the plan, and hard work you put into the NECOA.

Tim

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have not been on here much lately so I just came across and read your posts now. I am not sure if I would be able to step up for times sake but I know I do try to promote our club as much as I can. I am some distance from most members but I do do my best and would be more than happy to set up a meeting if anyone is passing through my part of the world. I am always more than happy to visit and look at other fine examples of our cars.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Complacency is easy.

I live in West Central PA. I would like to try to organize some kind of an event to get members around me together. I would love to get inspiration for my build from seeing other members rides!

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have only been a member here for a few short months, and I log in and see what's new as often as possible, and even post originals and replies when I feel I can help. It's nice to find such a helpful group! I moved here over ten years ago, and back home we had a good group of gear heads who always pitched in just for the fun. I don't have that here, and this site has been a breath of fresh air. I only wish there were local members who were more active to maybe connect with. But I do plug the NECOA often, and I definitely will do more so when the local car shows start back up. Wish I could do more to help!

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Ken - Let me just say that from the day I joined the group you have been there making your presence known and you have made me feel a part of something special. The one thing you must do is not take it personally. You are doing everything one man can do without going to extreme measures. The bottom line is that people will be people and no group leaders ever get the amount of participation they would like to, yet the groups like ours continue to grow.
HANG IN THERE!!

·
Deputy Director Region 21
129 Posts
Stay Strong Ken - you have set the bar, and it takes some time to funnel a response.

Winter was long and brutal in BC and most of Region 21 - my guess is that Spring is FINALLY here (but very wet), and the next 2 months will start the activities in the various regions.

I hope to connect with a few "local" members in person over the Summer (with or without the El Caminos, projects) .... hopefully with lots of photos, over coffee or a meal. I hope to have one of the El Caminos out for local shows, but my biggest goal is to get the '81 inspected and registered in BC (by June 1). Baby Steps. You are a ROCK STAR Ken. :) Calendar enttries and general Photos by the end of summer for every region.

In the next few days, I'm also connecting with a guy (non-member) in town here who is selling a '68 El Camino. I have no intentions for a 3rd, but I wanted to meet him and the Elky. :)

:You_Rock:

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
The beatings will continue until moral improves!

:hail: I would step up but central Fla already has good leadership, plus I'm the kind of guy who just prefers to stay in the background and not be noticed. (yeh right. I drive and El Camino for pete's sake. NOTICE ME!!)

All kidding aside Ken, you are doing a great job as Fearless Leader. Some areas aren't lucky enough to have a car environment like us. Not much driving over mostly good roads to a get together and something going on weekly all year. That really goes a long way for interest in us.

Some regions with little or no leadership are more challenging, less densely populated and longer drives to the bigger shows and hang outs.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
Ken, I too feel your frustration! Region 13 seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth! We used to be one of the most active regions and now, I can't get ANY interest to join me at the first cruise in of the season! (90 views and ZERO responses to my post regarding the cruise in!)
Belton has always been our big annual shin dig, and even that has had minimal interest this year!
What can we do to get back on track if nobody has any interest?
I plan to continue being a cheerleader for our association, and hopefully we'll be able to regain some of the comradery and participation as the season progresses.
Hang in there, Ken! Don't take it personally. You've always gone above and beyond for the NECOA!
:beer:

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
630 Views...............

630 views and 9 responses! My sincere thanks to those who offered serious words, but I believe that most would agree that 8 serious responses from 630 views is just a bit short of spectacular? If someone had told me just last year that this could happen within our Association, I would have recommended a direct committal to an asylum! I guess that's where I need to head.................

·
ZERO MPG
15,362 Posts
I have tried for years offering free baseball tickets, Free food & beer, Drag racing, can't count all the car shows or just hang out and I have maybe four members that will always show up if they can. Sorry to say I give up but will attend what I can this year.

We have lost a lot of great members that posted daily when you handed over the powers to be while you were out.:agreed::twocents:

·
423 Posts
630 views and 9 responses! My sincere thanks to those who offered serious words, but I believe that most would agree that 8 serious responses from 630 views is just a bit short of spectacular? If someone had told me just last year that this could happen within our Association, I would have recommended a direct committal to an asylum! I guess that's where I need to head.................
I can not speak for the other hundreds of viewers that did not reply but I have personally backed away from NECOA in the past year for several reasons. Mostly personal reasons but there are a few other reasons as others have mentioned above.

I have tried for years offering free baseball tickets, Free food & beer, Drag racing, can't count all the car shows or just hang out and I have maybe four members that will always show up if they can. Sorry to say I give up but will attend what I can this year.

We have lost a lot of great members that posted daily when you handed over the powers to be while you were out.:agreed::twocents:
Prior to last year I tried on several occasions to get others to meet in and around Austin at local shows and Cars and Coffee and received no response.

Ken, I too feel your frustration! Region 13 seems to have disappeared from the face of the Earth! We used to be one of the most active regions and now, I can't get ANY interest to join me at the first cruise in of the season! (90 views and ZERO responses to my post regarding the cruise in!)
Belton has always been our big annual shin dig, and even that has had minimal interest this year!
What can we do to get back on track if nobody has any interest?
I plan to continue being a cheerleader for our association, and hopefully we'll be able to regain some of the comradery and participation as the season progresses.
Hang in there, Ken! Don't take it personally. You've always gone above and beyond for the NECOA!
:beer:
My first Belton experience was awesome, I got there early and volunteered with about everything that I could and had a blast. I watched as you tried cooking for 70+ people on a 24" standup grill. The next year I suggested several things including bringing BBQ instead of cooking onsite. Which seemed to be alot easier. The next year rolls around and I was totally expecting to be contacted about doing BBQ again for Belton or maybe even some kind of Belton commitee consideration. I finally had to call and offer to do the BBQ again which again seemed to be well received. That brings me to last year, when yet again I was not contacted until late February after I made comments on several Belton posts. It was at that moment I decided to back away from NECOA.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Your Comments Appreciated

The comments are greatly appreciated. I cannot try, as National Director, to correct problems without direct input from the members. I've tried some changes on the national level, but only time will tell if those will be successful. And Corey, I do remember cooking for well over 100 members and guests (300+ brats were grilled the first year!) - those are some of the greatest memories I have. I feel like I spoke to, or at least tried to speak to, each and every one of those who attended the first two Belton shows/gatherings. Even the pre-Belton meetings, those at five locations all around Texas in 2010 that laid the foundations for Belton, were some of the greatest experiences I can remember. We had over 100 El Caminos at the first Belton gathering - and many, many more who wanted to attend but were forced by circumstances to stay home or work! The pent-up interest at that time was unbelievable - and one has to remember that this was in the shadow of the greatest recession in our Nation's history. Somehow, someway, we have to rebuild that interest - not in the Association or the Forum necessarily - in the desire to meet with like-minded El Camino folks in a family-friendly place. And certainly not just in Texas - we need to get back to the basics of event-building in most every area of our Association. We have good work going on now, we need to spread that good work around. (I know! I'm back on that dreaded soapbox, again!)

The problem is, I can't generate any of that needed interest without help. And, so far, I'm coming up pretty empty-handed with my attempts to find that much-needed help. But, I'll do what I can to get you a seat, Corey, or at least a hearing, on/at the Belton Committee for next year. We dearly need help at Belton, and it seems that volunteers are getting harder and harder to come by. And I encourage ALL members to get involved with our Association and the planning of events in your area or Region. Your ideas could be valuable to the success of an event - and could contribute to the continuing success of our Association. My eMail hasn't changed - [email protected] - if you want to communicate privately, my friends.........Ken

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
G'day Ken,you put everything into everything you do for this organization,you do a great job. What I notice with most people is that they find us,stay with it for a period of time and fade out.
I guess that when some people obtain the information they are after they move on. This could be one of many reasons l think.
I commented on a post recently in regard to a member who was wondering why there was a lack of activity in his area. I informed him that there was no director for his region and that he should apply for the position and get something going.
He replied saying he could not do it, l can't remember the reasons why,Randy would remember that post,he might be able to put you onto it.
Getting to Belton was a great thing for me to do,I met some great people and l am still in contact with them. I hope to make it back again soon.
Hope your back is in good shape mate,
Moose.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I can not speak for the other hundreds of viewers that did not reply but I have personally backed away from NECOA in the past year for several reasons. Mostly personal reasons but there are a few other reasons as others have mentioned above.

Prior to last year I tried on several occasions to get others to meet in and around Austin at local shows and Cars and Coffee and received no response.
don't think I ever heard anything from you Corey and I live here in Austin. Unlike some of the older guys I'm just busy with family, work, and all the projects around the house. contact me if you'd like offline.

as for backing away from NECOA, I feel the same for a number of personal reasons also

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alright so I don't post on here much but I kind of feel obligated to in this instance. Ken, I've never met you and you've never met me but I'm a young college aged El Camino owner that was born and raised in region 10. I currently attend university in Washington DC, and unfortunately my 5th Gen is at home some 750 miles from me. Given my course load, relative lack of experience, and my intentions to make DC my permanent state of residence, I'm not sure I would be the best option to the fill the current vacency for region 10. With that being said, I am more than happy to assist organization in any way that I can, as hot rodding has become a passion of mine, and I love meeting other El Camino owners. I'm also relatively active on the NECOA Facebook page, so maybe I could help out there as well. Best of luck with your organizational woes, I'm sure you'll find someone with the same faith and dedication as you.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts