El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced the carpets in my '71 Elky and in the process had to R&I the kickpanels. Now I have developed a leak on the passenger side at the vent. the water coming through the cowling drips on top of the vent shroud and enters the passenger compartment. I have tried both putty tape and auto / marine silicone with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions?:dontknow:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi,

Well, it could be a new prob. i.e. Heater core and/or connections. Windshield / firewall sealant failure.
I use Loctite PL Roof & Flashing sealant. No odor and color matches perfect. Stays flexible. I suggest you use low pressure water on the outside and isolate the sources. Bottom up. Give each spray a few minutes to get thru....

·
Registered
105 Posts
Make sure you isolate each location you apply water. It can take many minutes for a top frame leak to get down there. It could also be intermittant with the heater core. I assume no anti-freeze?
You could also dye the water to isolate if you did too much. Like food coloring.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
the kick panel vents are not connected to the heater unit.i asume it is a non ac car as it has kick panel vents a leaky heater would come out of the heater box.non ac cars get thier fresh air from the cowl vent and comes down both sides of the dash through the door pillars. were there any cracks in the vent where it passes through the pillar?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the kick panel vents are not connected to the heater unit.i asume it is a non ac car as it has kick panel vents a leaky heater would come out of the heater box.non ac cars get thier fresh air from the cowl vent and comes down both sides of the dash through the door pillars. were there any cracks in the vent where it passes through the pillar?

None that I could find.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Could it be a rust hole underneath the windshield moulding? Mine had an annoying passenger side leak and I think that was the problem. Bear in mind, I think there is supposed to be a hole there so rainwater does not collect, like in or close to the corner. Rust hole(s) inboard of that could be the culprit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.