El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,a few months back I changed the heater core,hoses and thermostat.
I thought I sealed the thermostat housing and I was good to go.
Well,the thermostat housing leak came back again and I finally found out what the problem was and the solution. First off,I was always told to use a sealant and gasket by many people with years of experience and even my mechanic said that,but I was told today to use neither of the two.
The sealant and gasket actually served no purpose if you are using the O ring itself.
All I did was stick the O ring in the groove and tighten everything down and sure enough,no leaks at all on the very first time!
Now its time to drain the water I had as an alternative to wasting coolant. Here's a video below of the old problem.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Glad you found that, I tried two different ones with the o-ring and both leaked. I put silicone around it and still leaked. Finally put a gasket along with the o-ring and sealer and it stopped leaking. I was ready to go back with the ugly orig if that gasket didn't work.. they were both flat and true not like yours.:poke:

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,292 Posts
...let me guess,its made in China...right?:poke::beer:

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a leak there as well and got one which is a thin gasket with an o-ring built into it. Hopefully it works just as well once I get the chance to put it in.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I had exactly the same problem a while back,so I replaced it with a new Chrome one same as old one but without the rocking.But it still leaked from around where the hose fits around the chrome inlet,so I now use 2 hose clamps & no leak.I have talked to a lot of gearheads about this,the problem seems to be getting a good seal between the rubber & the chrome.This worked for me.As for the other problem,although the inlet was rocking,the reusable gasket seemed to work on that but I replaced it anyway.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
if you have to have crome file it flat before you put it on. if you dont have to have crome use the cast one as stated above.they dont warp or leak,just not as pretty.but how pretty is a coolant leak or gobs of silicone trying to seal it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts