El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a new aluminum transmission oil pan, it came with a rubber gasket, I put a little RTV sealant on both sides, when I filled the trans it started leaking. I dropped the pan removed the RTV sealant put the seal back on and the same thing happened, my next move is to put the gasket that came with the filter kit and try that.
The new pan seems to be good quality the mounting surface is very thick so that doesn't seem to be the problem.
Any suggestions? Thanks. :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
How tight are you tightening the pan bolts?
Are you using a cross pattern ?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not follow a cross pattern basically went around gradually increasing the torque, they were hand tightened and I did notice the rubber gasket get squeezed out a little, one of the leaks was from around the bolt. The leaks were from a couple of places. Thanks
The bolts are allen head, the first time when I saw the leak I tightened the bolts more, the second time I tried loosening and tightening to try and stop the leak.

·
Registered
71 Posts
First, I'd find a known FLAT surface, and check that the pan is truly flat all around. I always install the gasket with just a very thin film of hard grease (whee bearing type) on one side to hold the gasket to the pan, then just snug up the bolts evenly. I prefer the rubber/neprene gaskets over the cork.

On a steel pan, you want to make sure that the bolt holes have not been distorted...a ball peen hammer works great to true them back up.

Sealer of any kind is pretty much guaranteed to make a pan gasket leak :dontknow:

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
He speaks wisely. Trans pans are suppose to go on DRY. But a little (FILM) of grease to hold it in place doesn't hurt. Bolts go snug, in a cross pattern. If the gasket starts to mushroom out, your too tight. The surface needs to be clean & dry. Even though the flange is a thick one, you need to be sure it is flat and not warped. You never know how they may have been handled. One last thing, if the Pan is plated, (chrome) you need to sand off the chrome on the matting surface, gaskets don't like chrome and rarely will seal mated to it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I just did this very job with my 80 Elkie's Metric 200 as well as my neighbor's GMC pickup. The grease is the way to go. Installation was a breeze. No slipped gaskets, very little swearing. It is SOOOOOO nice not to be leaving reddish brown puddles everywhere. Both installations are still dry as a bone.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks !

Thanks guys, looks like I finally got it. It took 6 times.
1- Rubber seal that came with pan, added RTV mounted it, leaked.
2- Tried again dry, leaked
3- Tried again dry, leaked (figured the rubber seal was no good as it kept pushing out)
4- Bought a Fel Pro gasket put it on dry, leaked
5- Tried again with Permatex on both sides of gasket, leaked. Good thing I did not run the engine as the fluid mixed with the permatex and made it like coffee grounds.
6- Made sure the pan was true (banged it a couple of times) installed the cheap gasket that came with the filter kit and it has been two plus days and no leaks.

The instructions you guys gave were right on. I believe I've become an expert. Thanks
:You_Rock::beer::nanawrench:

·
Registered
668 Posts
The best thing about experiences like this is that, if you're smart, you won't soon forget them. Lessons learned are lessons remembered.

(or is that the other way 'round?)

Congrats!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Great advice and tip. I just dropped my pan and went to change the filter just to find out that the filter is the incorrect one for the car...thanks "Napa" auto.:let_it_all_out: Will definetely ensure that I put the gasket on dry, AND ensure that the pan is flat. I have the same leaking problem listed in another thread. Hope this cleans up the drip and provides a smoother shift.

·
Premium Member
12,122 Posts
On a stamped steel pan, the mounting holes are usually dimpled in from the bolts. The shop manuals instruct mechanics to lay the pan flange on a solid surface, and with a ball-peen hammer, tap the dimple around the holes back in . I usually tap them back past flush a bit, to help seal the flange better. Same deal with engine oil pans.
Haven't ever used a cast pan.

·
Registered
10 Posts
auto trans. pan

My turbo 350 filter came with a fiber type gasket and it wickes the trans fluid. You can take your finger and push against the gasket and fluid will squeze out. A pain to change, but got to do it.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

·
Deputy Director Region 6
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thought I had posted the latest info. The trans continued leaking, broke down and took it to a trans shop, turned out that when I installed the new TV cable I pinched the rubber seal and that's where the leak was coming from, laying on my back it looked like the seal was culprit. Anyway the "leak was fixed", still weeps a little but I quit worrying for now.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
leaking trans oil pan

Used a can of [scotch brand type ] contact spray on both sides of gasket. Light spray did not have any leaks !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts