El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do i go about fixing a small leak in the exhaust manifold gaskets ?? Replace them ?? Will the bolts break ?? or Should i leave the leak alone ??

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
warm it up before you remove the bolts. the factory doesnt use gaskets on these. the factory gasket for the lt1 engines is a stainless mls gasket works real good on the earlier small blocks.look for discoloration on the heat shields ,it usually means there is a crack under it.the pass side is prone to cracking and warping at the heat riser flange and will leak there as well

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Agree with no gaskets from the factory. P/O may have done some work, hence the gaskets. I have taken leaking gaskets off small blocks and had no leaks.

·
0 Posts
Headers don't leak if they're installed correctly. I used a copper gasket backed with an aluminum one with thread locker on the bolts.

·
0 Posts
Summit Racing. They're like 25 bucks. I blew out 3 stes of paper and 1 set of aluminum gaskets before I found this fix!

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
There is a gasket where the header and collector come together

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
That's what I thought, thanks. Another question from the old guy: is it a standard gasket or is it specific to the headers? BTW one of my sons lives in Milford.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
I like Mr gasket brand, available locally or via internet.
Does your son have an elky?
I live north of the Post rd.

·
Premium Member
2,283 Posts
No Elky for him. Yet. He's a chiropractor, office is in Stratford right across from Sikorsky. He lives between the hospital and the water, those are the only landmarks I'm familiar with.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
Got a general idea.......not far from me.
I'm minutes from the Sikorsky Bridge

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Where the header meets the collector, there is a donut shaped seal that fits between them to prevent leaks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts