El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Deputy Director Supporting Member
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have oil on the top of my valve cover rail. And alot going down the driver's side rear of the block. Valve covers are tight as possible, seem dry all around. How is the oil going up the valve cover rail, but not getting anywhere on the intake?? Any ideas?? My PCV and breather are no where near this leak.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
"Tight as ever" I was told to just do them finger tight or very snug. Mine haven't leaked since I did it that way. Since there are only a few bolts, if you tighten down too much those areas will be compressed and may allow the space in between bolts to warp up enough. Some people have longer "washers" to spread the pressure out.

·
Registered
532 Posts
yup, too tight WILL warp valve covers and cause leaks. try some new gaskets and make sure the valve covers aren't bent around the bolts from overtightening. tighten to about 20 inch pounds(not much more than you could put on it with a nutdriver) i would bet the leak will dissapear.............

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Are you using cork or neoprene gaskets? You need those thingys that spread out the pressure. I think they call them spreaders. X2 on overtightening.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
Yes, those will help. Use neoprene/rubber gaskets. Apply some silicone lightly to the rails on the covers. Resist tightening so much the covers bend. Going to cast covers would help and look nice , too.

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, I clearly didn't explain the whole thing very well!! Sorry for that.... I purchased M/T aluminum valve covers a couple months ago. I was VERY excited about them, because they are my favorite looking cover. Well, when putting them on, I realized the breather and PCV holes were on the entirely wrong part of the valve cover--right on top of the #1 and #8 rocker arms! I put them on with some regular grommets, and sure enough, it sucked a quart of oil through the PCV in about 200 miles. So, I tried putting baffled grommets on. They didn't fit with the hole on top of the rocker arm. On go my old chrome flame covers. They are baffled, and in addition I used the baffled grommets I already had. One problem solved. I have rubber with steel core gaskets, and I use the long load spreaders. I have t-handles and only use my hands to tighten them. I put a thin layer of silicone on the valve cover surface before I put the gasket on. Now, after putting on my new intake, I discovered it was too short and needed to shim my distributor up off the manifold about .080". This resulted in an oil leak under the shim. Put a new gasket on--problem #2 solved. However, it is still leaking oil from the back somewhere. I am unable to see if it's the oil pressure unit (which did not leak previous to changing manifolds and was untouched during the swap) or if there is a leak along the top rail of the block. Wouldn't a leak at the block cause a vacuum leak? Or not?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I just changed the oil sending unit on a friend's Tahoe. I didn't know something so small could leak so bad. May be yours finally decided to give up. It's under the distributor. Well mine was.:dontknow:

·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, so here's what I did. Oil pressure sending unit may or may not have been leaking. Intake probably was. I did what I really HATED to do, being as I just installed the intake 2 weeks ago. I pulled the intake off last night (apparently I sealed the other 3 sides really well--I used my engine hoist to help lift up on the intake and it just raised the car up!!). When I flipped it over, I saw a spot right next to the distributor that the RTV looked quite thin. I'm sure this was my leaking spot. So, this time, I am putting down a thin bead of silicone, the flimsy rubber gaskets, and a bead of silicone on top of those. I will also take the oil pressure sender out and re-tape the threads on it while I have access. Will update tomorrow if the leaky leaky is fixed!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts