El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody replaced their stock dash light bulbs with LEDs? Is there a company that makes them for our cars? Thanks

·
Supporting Member
4,568 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,312 Posts
Don't like LED's because you can not dim them !!

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I've got them in my 80 Caballero and love the differences since now I can see the dials, etc at night. Also I could swear that I can dim them but since I seen to do ever thing backwards, it's having the engine pulled and painting the engine bay, point is I cannot go check them and I'm sure you guys are right. I seem to forget stuff but as long as I remember the word TREAT, my three dogs are happy. :yell::yell:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Led

I got mine on ebay, real cheap $$$. I like them and do not need to dim. They give a bluish light instead of yellowish. I replaced all of mine. Be careful some are directional, only work one way in socket. I believe I paid about $3 for 10 of them. I might be able to find auction if interested.

·
Registered
257 Posts

·
Supporting Member
4,568 Posts
What one did u get WLED-X-X WLED-X3 ect. Or what would u recommend, is that the 5-led that u mentioned
yep, the WELD-X5 is the type I got, but I bought them on ebay (Cheaper). With the X5, I find I do not need to dim them- in fact I probably would want a little brighter still, but I'm getting old!

·
Registered
742 Posts
yep, the WELD-X5 is the type I got, but I bought them on ebay (Cheaper). With the X5, I find I do not need to dim them- in fact I probably would want a little brighter still, but I'm getting old!
I am looking for brighter instrument lighting too.....

I talked with their tech guy and he indicated the best choice is the weld-xHP5 if you are looking for a brighter light. But they are a lot more expensive...$5.95 on their web site. He claims they are the most popular.

Anyone use these.... They are about 1/2" diameter and almost 1" over all length...
Will they fit.....

Arnie in Iowa

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
You don't need led bulbs ! All you need to do is pull the housing apart and paint the surfaces with a white acrylic type model paint. I had the same problem and did the paint deal and it is BRIGHT now !! Its as easy a upgrade as you will ever do.Just be careful when opening the panel and don't break the gear shift selector pointer ! There are other posts on this subject if you do a search. WP

·
Registered
49 Posts
I got some one ebay for pretty cheap but they were single led's not the multiple ones and they are even dimmer than regular bulbs, so I would suggest you go for the multiple led ones.

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
You're wasting your money,all you need to do is paint the interior. It takes about 30 minutes and cost about 3 bucks AND you can still dim your bulbs if you wish. I doubt very seriously that it will be much brighter with just the led bulbs and no interior paint

·
Premium Member
3,190 Posts
Yep,it does make a big difference and there was some research done between chrome/silver paint and white and the white won out. If the chrome works thats great !

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Forget the LED bulbs, paint the back side of your instrument cluster with solvent based semi-gloss or satin white enamel. I have done my sold '85 and now my current '87. The instruments are plenty bright.

Doug

1 - 17 of 17 Posts