El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I'm finally getting back on my 86 elky and trying to modernize it a little bit for safety. At the same time we're about to put my son's 85 caballero on the road so I want to do this upgrade on one and then do the same on the other. I've been looking at LED or HID headlight upgrades for years. I believe the LED technology is finally there to be sufficiently bright. My reason for wanting to upgrade the bulbs is they are just so weak compared to modern headlights and I want to do it for safety. Below is a link on amazon to the set I'm looking at. Anyone used this? Any opinions? I have a distribution block on the firewall of mine but my son's car is all stock. So mine I could wire in a new light harness easily but his I would prefer to not do that. And sorry if this is a repeat post but I searched and didn't find this particular discussion.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I personally never liked the look of those headlights though I know people who have used them with no issues. On my '82 I personally went with this style of headlight:
They look factory when not in use but allow for the use of H4 style bulbs which are a lot more powerful. I think I got mine from ebay though for a good bit cheaper than Dixie sells them for. I used a set of ebay LED H4 bulbs to go with them and am very happy with the light output.

·
Supporting Member
4,547 Posts
Be careful, as many of these conversion are not DOT approved. Could likely get you in trouble with the law if you are pulled over. OK for off road use, but on-road needs to have lenses that direct the beams to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. I've also heard that the LED bulbs required a cooling fan that can be troublesome to install, and prone to failure.

Reactions: squag27

·
Registered
635 Posts
Be careful, as many of these conversion are not DOT approved. Could likely get you in trouble with the law if you are pulled over. OK for off road use, but on-road needs to have lenses that direct the beams to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. I've also heard that the LED bulbs required a cooling fan that can be troublesome to install, and prone to failure.
That was one of the things I liked about the housings I went with is that they do direct the light from the bulbs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Might want to take a look and read through some of this or all of it.

In the link above there are a lot of links you can keep opening and reading if you want.

Like said above most of the stuff on the market is not legal or is just junk.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,183 Posts
I don't like the look of those HID/LEDs on the classic rides
I've been using the sylvania silverstars on mine for many years
They cost a little more but are one of the brightest white lights made & does just fine at night
even for my old eyes

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't like the look of those HID/LEDs on the classic rides
I've been using the sylvania silverstars on mine for many years
They cost a little more but are one of the brightest white lights made & does just fine at night
even for my old eyes
I do have to agree there. I don't have any desire to have them on my older vehicles. I have never liked the taillights with just the individual dots of the led's showing. Much prefer the incandescent bulb and the even appearance. In the link above they also discuss the bulbs with the blue on them and talk about how much it diminishes your light instead of increases as so many think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
X2 on the Sylvania sealed beams. I was considering LEDs but I put in an old set of Sylvanias I had in a previous elky and was pleased at the improvement over the standard lights that came in my current ride.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
I personally never liked the look of those headlights though I know people who have used them with no issues. On my '82 I personally went with this style of headlight:
They look factory when not in use but allow for the use of H4 style bulbs which are a lot more powerful. I think I got mine from ebay though for a good bit cheaper than Dixie sells them for. I used a set of ebay LED H4 bulbs to go with them and am very happy with the light output.
That's the same one I will be going with. Much brighter than original but still glass, and they have direct battery power by adding a relay instead of power supplied from the light switch that robs voltage from the headlights. I have heard that it is still good to run a bead of silicone around the seal between the lens and housing as some have had water leakage problems there. If a fair day/night occasional driver probably would never have an issue though. Gonna put them in my Fox body Mustang too.

Joe

·
Registered
882 Posts
I prefer the ones from Dixie too

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for the input that is exactly what I was looking for. Got lots to read now. Glad I asked the question.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Although I haven't installed mine as yet, I went with headlights from Dapper Lighting.

These just so happen to be on SALE at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
That is pricy. Over $500 for all four. I can not justify the cost difference over some others.

4 Silver Star lamps $20 each $80 for the set).
I can find a better use than spending an additional $420. Of course, if money is no object.................

Reactions: pbr400

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is pricy. Over $500 for all four. I can not justify the cost difference over some others.

4 Silver Star lamps $20 each $80 for the set).
I can find a better use than spending an additional $420. Of course, if money is no object.................

I have silver star headlights currently. They are not that bright and they still look yellow. I plan to change them out for LED's. Yes, the ones I mentioned were expensive but you get what you pay for. The ones you picked out are junk. But to each their own. I would rather pay once/cry once they pay twice and cry twice. Did you at least check out the video link I posted. Might help you change your mind. It is one of the best videos I've found for the 4x6 headlights.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hi Bikergal, I did see the video and as you said they do allow you to see more. The price to benefit ratio is just something that prevents me personally from paying that much. However, over the years I have modified my toys that others said was a waste of money. I spent the money because it was something I liked and if they did not like it, that's just too bad. You are to be commended for researching before you buy. You found what you want and can justify to yourself buying them. You will be happy and what I think does not matter, after all it is not my money. Sorry if I ruffled your feathers.
R/T

1 - 17 of 17 Posts