El Camino Central Forum banner

LED light strips

4K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  ccc 
#1 ·
Read several threads about these, but still have a few questions. Any brand reccomendations? any to avoid? im thinking a 48 tailgate strip for my 85, should it be longer? and the threads u read on this say to plug into trailer flights, but I don't have a hitch or receiver, so I'm assuming that I don't have trailer harness. what's the easiest way to this if I don't have a harness? the one I'm looking at has brake running and turn lights, no reverse. thanks guys!

#3 ·
:dontknow:I am considering mounting a Cadillac style very thin LED strip on the back of my cab where there is a little ledge that is the begininning of the bed.On the 64 there is about a 1`/2' high depression where this light would blend well. It might also prevent someone from giving me an unwanted push. These old duffers here in Florida can't see, don't hear and if they did it wouldn't matter anyway because too many have Alzheimers.They all drive too fast. Florida drivers NEVER use the little lever on the left side of the steering column to put up a turn signal.They don't even know it's there. I have nothing against old drivers, I am one, but just slow, stupid old drivers.At least in New Joysey the majority of drivers would stop for a stop sign or red light. In Florida it is a crap shoot at every intersection.

#4 ·
Having just moved to Florida in March from DC, it still seems like a wonderland filled with fantastic drivers. I am considering options for an up high third brake light as well, but the light strips seemed like a fast easy option to get started. I was thinking they would add a lot of visibility at night, even if it doesn't do much during the day. I've been leaning toward a 12" strip light mounted inside the glass up top. the light strip would be bonus lighting.

#10 ·
I routed the wire behind the top and side window molding , and down the A pillar then connected to the brake light switch. The suction cups that came with the unit with atouch of adhesive have been in place now over two years and lot fell off.
This unit can also be hooked up to signal switch left and right if so desired.

#7 ·
I would like to see it installed on a El Camino the price is right and looks great. I would buy one now if it's a nice fit.:nanawrench:

#8 ·
Check out Chevy and GMC trucks in the 98 to present for the lights too. On my '03 Sierra Denali there is a light strip just under the bed. If you mount these inside the cab you can route the wires under the carpet edge on the driver's side and go to the brake switch on the pedal. If you mount them outside the cab it's a bit more work but anyone can do it. Get a test light and a friend, wife, kid, monkey or someone to help and find the wire coming from the pedal to where it goes to the back lights. Once you think you have it tap into it with your test light and have the monkey step on the pedal. It should light your test light and that's the wire you tap into. The other wire on the light should go to ground. I'm out of town but will be home tonight and I'll make sure I'm right with mine but this should work. Good luck and sorry for the book on here. :dontknow:

#9 ·
Check out Chevy and GMC trucks in the 98 to present for the lights too. On my '03 Sierra Denali there is a light strip just under the bed. If you mount these inside the cab you can route the wires under the carpet edge on the driver's side and go to the brake switch on the pedal. If you mount them outside the cab it's a bit more work but anyone can do it. Get a test light and a friend, wife, kid, monkey or someone to help and find the wire coming from the pedal to where it goes to the back lights. Once you think you have it tap into it with your test light and have the monkey step on the pedal. It should light your test light and that's the wire you tap into. The other wire on the light should go to ground. I'm out of town but will be home tonight and I'll make sure I'm right with mine but this should work. Good luck and sorry for the book on here. :dontknow:

Please show a picture of your's installed.

#17 · (Edited)
i used the light strip from a 95/2000 tahoe/suburban and tucked it in between the upper moulding and headlinerhttp://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u440/86ss/brakelight2.jpg

Is this what you used?

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/TailLights..._content=LTL&gclid=CIHW96b20K8CFUPf4AodPGTeIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Escalade-Suburban-Tahoe-Yukon-H2-L-E-D-3RD-THIRD-BRAKE-LIGHT-LED-CHROME-/290701413977#vi-content

Can you show a photo of it inside your truck? Did you use the wiring supplied or have to use your own?Thanks

#18 ·
yes i used only the light strip inside the housing. the leds are red. it has little blocks that secure it in the housing double sided tape it to the inside of your rear moulding.you dont see it from inside the car. it sandwitches between the moulding and the headliner

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.