El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
i have an 85 that was in an accident a long time ago and had been fixed.. the door wash pretty smashed in but i havent had problems since.. recently a big heavy guaged spring fell out of the top that keeps the door from stoping when its open. so now the door swings freely which i can live with.. the other day i sprayed some lube on the hinges and my guess is it took the dirt away now my door hangs to low and i have to sort of pick it up when closing it.. is there a cheap fix to this maybe bending sum hinges up or would i have to replace them all where would i get the hinges and what would it cost for a mechanic to put them back on.. here are pictures..

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Go to ebay and find you a set of G-body door hinges. Prices vary. Not that hard to replace yourself. Good luck.

·
Deputy Director Region 6
9,316 Posts
You can fine some good used ones on e bay or at the upullit !!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Had the same problem with left door sagging. Bought the pins, replaced the pins, very much cheaper fix, local auto parts carry them. Unless your hinge itself is screwed up then, guess the pins won't do the trick !

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
If the door is sagging so bad that it won't close without lifting the door you have worn through the hingepin bushing and it probably has worn into the steel of the hinge making the replacement of the pin and bushings an unlikely repair and you will need to find replacement hinges.You might find some good used ones at a u-pull-it or pick-n-pull yard or at least ones that would be good enough for a hingepin repair,you can also get the repair pin kits at NAPA and others.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?A=BK_6755143_0115828551&An=0&Ar=AND(P_RecType%3aA)
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...985&make=Chevrolet&model=El+Camino&vi=1042726
If you can find the ones with the C-clip or you will need someone to pinch the end of the pin to keep it in place or use a washer and a cotterpin.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The hinges have three bolts on each side of the hinge,I believe they take a 13mm or a 1/2" to remove them but before you start take a sharpie maker and mark around the hinge so that you have a starting point when you put them back on and do one hinge at a time.As for the spring you'll need a tool collapse the spring to get it back in place.
http://www.harborfreight.com/gm-vehicle-door-spring-tool-95344.html

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Great info! I've got the same delemma going on with my left(drivers side) door.ill have to inspect mine further to determine if i can get by. With just the pins or of i have to replace the whole hinge itself.would it be possible to replace say,just the top(as i think that's where its causing a frailure) or do i have to do them both.there's a couple sets at the pull-n-pay,if you want i could get you a set or one when i go to get mine.good luck and lmk.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Use a floor jack with a block of wood under the middle of the door to support it while you remove the bolts. Just had my doors off. The bolts on my 78 are 11mm or 7/16. Have the helper steady the door so you don't scratch up the edge of the door and the edge of the fender.
Another thing you can do is run a short horizontal piece of masking tape across the door and fender and another piece on the door and 1/4. Cut through the openings so a piece stays on each panel. This along with marking the hinge location will help you re-align the doors. Also run some tape along the edges of the fender and door to prevent chips and scratches in case the door bangs off the fender.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Use a floor jack with a block of wood under the middle of the door to support it while you remove the bolts. Just had my doors off. The bolts on my 78 are 11mm or 7/16. Have the helper steady the door so you don't scratch up the edge of the door and the edge of the fender.
Another thing you can do is run a short horizontal piece of masking tape across the door and fender and another piece on the door and 1/4. Cut through the openings so a piece stays on each panel. This along with marking the hinge location will help you re-align the doors. Also run some tape along the edges of the fender and door to prevent chips and scratches in case the door bangs off the fender.
now heres the big scary question.. what about the electrical wires and so on.. the ruber cover that covers the wires going in.. hope theres an easy way..

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Ok for power doors (windows & locks) remove the upper and lower door panels and any paper or plastic film covering the door. You should be able to reach in and unplug the window motor and door lock actuator. The power window wires might be tricky because you want the window lowered all the way to prevent breaking it. There will be a few clips holding the harness to the inside door shell and I think one just inside where the wires come in from the rubber boot. then just remove the boot from the door and carefully pull the wires through the opening being careful not to skin the insulation off on the edges of the opening for the boot.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
take a floor jack and support the door and pull the 6 11 mm bolts. and the hinge is in your hand very easy.i have a couple spares i rebuild my own and put longer bushings in them they wear like iron

1 - 20 of 20 Posts