El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now alot of you guys always stress (DO NOT USE GLASS FUEL FILTERS) l I've always said if you mount them right and their secure you don't have anything to worry about. I put them in ever car and I've had the one in the 68 for about 5 yeas. I change the filter and the o-ring with never a problem
Well I always pop my hood and check my motor (hope it's still there) in the 68 after it's been covered up for a week.
This is what I find this morning

The fuel filter had popped apart.

It had to do that while it was sitting up this week. I just drove it last weekend.
LESSON LEARNED!!!!
This is what I have now!!!:nanawrench:

Billit style!!!!
So I now say if you have a glass fuel filter THROW IT AWAY!!!!
Thank God I did not crank the motor!!
Donny

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,953 Posts
Glad you checked before cranking the rose !! X2 on DO NOT USE GLASS FUEL FILTERS !!:poke:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Need washer hoses. :secret: It has a threaded connection. Why do you think it came out? I taped mine with clear packing tape, should help with breakage. NHRA will fail you for a glass filter.

·
Premium Member
12,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The insert is cheap metal on the threads just gave. I had it pretty tight on the o-rings (and yes, I started it by hand not to cross thread it)
You really wanta know? Cheap Chinese junk!!!!:let_it_all_out:
Donny

·
0 Posts
The insert is cheap metal on the threads just gave. I had it pretty tight on the o-rings (and yes, I started it by hand not to cross thread it)
You really wanta know? Cheap Chinese junk!!!!:let_it_all_out:
Donny
This is the exact reason I have a brand new glass filter that's been waiting to be installed for 4 months now.:let_it_all_out:

·
Registered
12,538 Posts
WOW that would have been bad.. time to get a lotto ticket..:texas:

something else,, i notice your not running the normal bbc waterpump to intake bypass hose??
just wundering if you learned something your not shareing??:dontknow:

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
so now DDD and his elkie BOTH are falling apart???

:dontknow: :sarcasm:

·
Senior Member, NECOA Contributor
923 Posts
Add this to the "DO NOT USE" list, like the Triangle Edelbrock air cleaner that can catch fire with one small carb backfire. Throw those out too. They get the gas fumes in the filter media, then a backfire and there you go.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Donny
someone trying to keep you from winning at belton? :secret::dontknow:

J/K of course!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Had one of those on the last work truck. Wanna guess why it quit running oneday???

The design would be ok if it was good metal. Switched to metal inline filter.

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
...time to get one of these...

..might last longer than that cheap junk from overseas...:poke::poke:
:beer:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
always use the metal ones and put them before the fuel pump.come on guys and gals our cars are worth more than a cheap filter,no matter how cute they look. if you put it before the pump it protects the pump and carb and if it leaks it sucks air not leaking fuel under pressure

·
932 Posts
I use both the glass fuel filter and the triangle sponge edelbrock air cleaner and have for over 5 years now , pretty well any product out there for old vehicles can have their issues, if a person was going to quit using every product that someone has had issues with you wouldn't be able to drive your vehicle .

·
923 Posts
I use both the glass fuel filter and the triangle sponge edelbrock air cleaner and have for over 5 years now , pretty well any product out there for old vehicles can have their issues, if a person was going to quit using every product that someone has had issues with you wouldn't be able to drive your vehicle .
Knock on wood buddy. All products have potential to be hazardous, but when several vehicles have a product and go up in flames the exact same way and you continue to think, it won't happen to me, then you're really playing with fire. No pun intended.

Here is what an Eddy Triangular sponge did to a truck a buddy owned and I know of 2 others.

Attachments

·
Deputy Director Region 18 Participating Member
6,307 Posts
...well,I see that you fix the small stuff and went out and put the hurt on 'ole Steel Beast...:inlove:

..I think you had that Rat on a tread mill,or on a diet..:beer::beer:

Attachments

·
923 Posts
Many prefer the metal ones, I've used the plastic ones without any issue at all and no of noone that has had issues. The glass ones are cool. I like them for the idea of being able to see and used to run them myself. Just not worth it.

I had a truck that had alot of junk in the bottom of the tank, so I used the white plastic and I could see when it was dirty, so I settled for using that. I do agree though, put the filter BEFORE your fuel pump. I ended up with one right off the tank, and one just before the pump.

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
I had one of those triangle air cleaners on a 66 Malubu BB, one small hiccup and poof.

No damage except to the foam element. Bye-Bye triangle air cleaner, hello round crome cleaner.

·
923 Posts
Normally that is all that would happen is the element burn up, but what has happened, it catches fire, then catches the hood insulation on fire and goes from there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts