El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
it has 1 large and 1 smaller port/connection. The large one is the vacuum supply, the intake manifod and then the smaller one is the vacuum that controls the hvac system controls under the dash, the smaller line goes into the interior and hooks into hvac controls.

Like opening and closing flaps for defrost vs floorboards and I think also the actual mode selection, from heat to a/c etc.

Others will chime in if I'm wrong.... my old 66 doesn't have any of that stuff.....

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
X2 on what JPMDADDY said. But now I'll show my age on cars other than our Elkies, Merc's and Lincoln's come to mind they also stored vacuum to open the hidden headlight doors. Back then they were big a$$ juice cans.
Ang.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Those Toronado's are beautiful. The first time I sat in one I couldn't believe how big the front floor was without the trany tunnel.
Ang.

·
Registered
351 Posts
One more thing to add is if ur going up a long hill the motor vacuum drops to O if your foots into it and your running your air conditioning it will blow out the defrost vents without the extra storage of vacuum in the ball thing. Don

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Back 2 Balls

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just a couple more questions should the ball have as much vacuum on the side going to the controls or more? Other than storing vacuum does it give more vacuum on control side. And also how can I test it without a vacuum gauge I am a RV Tech. And I don't know if the mono-miter that I have for checking for propane leaks in a motorhome or a bus would work on something so small.

·
Registered
11,510 Posts
63-65 Rivieras had miles of vacumn tubing in them to open those clamshell headlight doors!!
miles of it in 60s cadillacs too!

finding a vacumn leak would make you crazy!

:poke:

·
Registered
3 Posts
New to this

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum stuff but sure could use some help. I got a 1972 el camino and want to restore it total. I look at it that the more I put into it the more I get out of it. It will not sit because I need to drive it also. Hope I can get some help.

Can anyone explain how to take the dask board off.... :dontknow: All the instruments are not working

Thanks again:beer:

Chris

PS This is a cool site

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just a couple more questions should the ball have as much vacuum on the side going to the controls or more? Other than storing vacuum does it give more vacuum on control side. And also how can I test it without a vacuum gauge I am a RV Tech. And I don't know if the mono-miter that I have for checking for propane leaks in a motorhome or a bus would work on something so small.
Don't know if I'm going to word this correctly or how much vacuum it holds but after the car has been driven for a while unplug one of the lines. You should hear air rushing in to replace the vacuum. At least that will tell you that it's not cracked. But obviously be sure that your lines and connections are in good shape first.
Ang.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
There will be more vacuum on the small exit port of the ball with the purple line going to the A/C control on the dash. That's the point of the ball, to increase the amount of vacuum.
Here's what's happening. The black tube comes of the intake manifold and connects to the large port on the ball. The purple line comes off the ball and goes through the firewall and connects to a 9 port vacuum control on the back of the A/C control switch. These other color coded lines run to different vacuum diaphragms that open and close blend doors. The purple also piggybacks off this switch and runs to a 2 port switch on the left side of the control. On this 2 port switch is the gray line that goes back out into the engine compartment and attaches to the heater control valve. When the system is on MAX cool, High Fan and the lower slide at COLD the vacuum turns the heater control valve off to keep hot coolant out of the heater core.
Both these switches are getting a little hard to find. I tried to order some and was told they were discontinued. I did find them from someone that had them in stock. But they only had a few more. I can get you the part #'s if you need them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts