El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of
the coolest chevy cars/trucks made, definitely best El Camino made and that's stating facts according to the numbers. Numbers sold that is. There is no close second but yet companies like this go out of there way to make parts for every ugly car made. Stop blacklisting 1974 El Camino. Step away from the crowd and make amends to the biggest & baddest car/truck ever made.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,608 Posts
I don’t know what your selling, but I like your style👍👍👍

·
Registered
23 Posts
As an owner of a 4 gen - 1977 El Camino (in addition to a 67 Elco), I didn't know there was a so- called "blacklist" against the 4 gen - 73 - 77 models. I will admit that its kinda surprising that the aftermarket body parts companies and vendors don't make more parts for the El Caminos and Chevelles of this era. I mean after all, THESE ARE CHEVROLETS. And that means there's plenty of them still out there - still able to be restored, cause there were many sold during that time.

HOWEVER,

·
Registered
23 Posts
HOWEVER, the ire shouldn't just end on this site. It should be taken DIRECTLY to the vendors and aftermarket body parts suppliers to let them KNOW that there ARE people out here, who are WILLING TO SPEND GOOD MONEY AND BUY THEIR PARTS.

Since many of these companies are already supplying parts for other Chevys, providing more parts for the 4th Gens would only increase their visibility and provide more REVENUE for the vendors and suppliers themselves.

I already know this avenue works. As an owner of a Mopar also, I've seen Mopar owners go directly to the vendors and suppliers and THEY RESPONDED.

·
Registered
952 Posts
From my observation there are only a few vendors that produce parts in small quantities.
Parts Place
Inline Tube - Olds/Pontiac
OPGI

Parts Place and Inline Tube are probably the best when it come to reproducing parts and their 73-77 parts list is expanding, but they are also the worst as their customer skills are terrible. Inline Tube specializes in Oldsmobile and Pontiac but is expanding into Chevrolet

OPGI has within the last few years, begun parts production of their own and are slowly moving into 73-77 parts.

But the big elephant in the room is economics. It makes no sense economically to spend thousands of dollars for new dies and other machinery to reproduce parts for a very small market. The return on investment is just not there.

·
Super Moderator
2,147 Posts
Ed is dead on. It is supply and demand. The demand for these parts is on the rise but, not yet there to be profitable. The early 70s was the beginning of fuel and emission requirements which made these cars less desirable. And before you go bad mouthing me for saying that, the same held true for the 59-60 models, not so many years ago. Times change and demand will rise. I have already seen more 73-77 parts come back but, just not enough to make it easy to restore them. Here is a hint though. When I built my first 59 El Camino, I had to buy a coupe of parts cars. This gave me access to parts like trim and fenders that they will never reproduce. Count yourselves as being ahead of the curve and be resourceful rather than blaming companies for not handing it all to you.

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,608 Posts
C2
Ed is dead on. It is supply and demand. The demand for these parts is on the rise but, not yet there to be profitable. The early 70s was the beginning of fuel and emission requirements which made these cars less desirable. And before you go bad mouthing me for saying that, the same held true for the 59-60 models, not so many years ago. Times change and demand will rise. I have already seen more 73-77 parts come back but, just not enough to make it easy to restore them. Here is a hint though. When I built my first 59 El Camino, I had to buy a coupe of parts cars. This gave me access to parts like trim and fenders that they will never reproduce. Count yourselves as being ahead of the curve and be resourceful rather than blaming companies for not handing it all to you.
X2, I haven’t bought 1 thing from OPIG
I’ve only looked at there so called inventory and I just see them raise prices. All eBay and Craigslist and salvage yards for me.

Reactions: O52

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
As much as people complain about The Parts Place you have to admit they carry some real hard to get parts. Personally I have always had good results with them...

·
Registered
952 Posts
As have I with Parts Place. I'd rather buy from them and Inline Tube than OPGI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't really intend on painting a picture that could not find parts. Trust I know that parts are not handed to you. The list of things I've had to do to this car by myself is long and sweaty. I was just frustrated with how you'll see every chevy model and year except this 4th gen el camino. Iwrote Dakota Digital for this exact reason. Yes I know they have universal gauges but it's the principle of the matter. Sometimes you dont wanna have to be Macgyver. I love troubleshooting I do it all day every day in HVAC field but there are time where I'd like to plug n play

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
From my observation there are only a few vendors that produce parts in small quantities.
Parts Place
Inline Tube - Olds/Pontiac
OPGI

Parts Place and Inline Tube are probably the best when it come to reproducing parts and their 73-77 parts list is expanding, but they are also the worst as their customer skills are terrible. Inline Tube specializes in Oldsmobile and Pontiac but is expanding into Chevrolet

OPGI has within the last few years, begun parts production of their own and are slowly moving into 73-77 parts.

But the big elephant in the room is economics. It makes no sense economically to spend thousands of dollars for new dies and other machinery to reproduce parts for a very small market. The return on investment is just not there.
The 4th Gen El Camino was only made from 1973-77 , just 5 years , compared to 10 years ,78-87 for the 5th Gen ,so many more 5th Gens were made than 4th gens . 4th gens are rare & hard to find if you are looking for one plus 5th Gens are almost identical parts & 4th Gens vary from year to year in parts . Older ECs are more popular . When it comes down to supply & demand , where they make money , companies are out for the most profit . It's too bad because I like all ECs . Some suppliers stop at 72 Elkys & don't make parts for 4th or 5th gens . It's a shame , I've seen a few great looking 73-77s . Down here in Florida (Reg 6 ) we've only had 1-2 , 4th gens show up for our shows out of about 30-40 regulars ,mostly 5th , 3rd & even few 2nds , only 1 1st gen that I can remember . Good Luck with your project .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts