El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elky has an HO 305 from an 88 Monte SS in it. The engine was rebuilt a little over 40,000 miles ago and runs fine.
I've noticed this past winter though on cold startup I get lifter ticking just for the first two or three seconds and then it goes away. Doesn't do it the rest of the day, only on first startup of the day when engine and oil are cold.
I've used the same kind of oil in it since the rebuild years ago (Valvoline 10W-30) but it just started this since this past winter.
What could cause this and will it do any harm? Anything I can do to prevent it?
Thanks for any input you have!

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
Sounds like you may have a lifter leaking down or wear in a rocker arm . I always start my cars/trucks in the winter,depending on temperature, by starting and as soon as the engine fires I'll shut it right back off. This pre-charges the engine with oil pressure and helps eliminate a "dry" start or oil starvation . May not be necessary,but sure makes me feel better,hopefully the engine.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
You can install a pre-oiler system. I have a simple one so that I don't starve anything. Mainly for when it has been sitting for a few days and things drain off and get dry. If you are interested i can try and find the link to the site.

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
If this ticking ends quickly it is unlikely you are damaging anything.It doesn't take much clearance to cause such a noise. Back in the 60's when many of us young street racers were running the Duntov "Thirty-Thirty" solid lifter cam, that was a stock Corvette piece, there was lots of ticking. The nickname was derived from the valve clearance(lash) setting for this cam of .030" across the board. It was a great cam that made lots of torque and a great idle rumble. The ticking became a a sign of power under the hood. At .030" clearance there was no real wear or damage to the valve stem or rockers. Sure did sound sweet!:poke:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts