El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new light switch for my '65 El Camino. For right now, I just unplugged the harness from the old one and plugged it onto the new switch.

But I still need to get the old one out of the dash panel. I got the lever removed, but the is a weird nut with two tiny holes which look like it needs a special tool to unscrew it. There is a guy selling similar tools on eBay, but he doesn't list one for the switch.

Any ideas how to get it off? Can I buy a tool somewhere? The nut looks a little rusty so I'm hoping a shot of spray will help it loosen up.

Jay
Arizona

·
VINTAGE MOTORHEAD
4,102 Posts
You should be able to take a thin punch and a small hammer and gently tap in a counter clockwise direction. As soon as you take the tension off it you will be able to unthread it with your fingers. Half the time they are already fairly loose. Even a long nail and hammer will get you started. You really don't need a spanner wrench to do it .

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered a tool from Custom Machine Components that fits right into the mounting nut for the light switch. Mine was a bit rusty and I couldn't get any punch or other tool to fit and turn the nut. This tool was perfect and did the job in seconds. I also bought one for the ignition switch bezel that fit perfectly and doesn't mar the bezel.

Saved me some frustration and tool throwing!

Jay

1 - 3 of 3 Posts