Electrical Specs and Modifications:
Stock HEI Distributor
MSD 6A Ignition
8.5 mm MSD plug wires

Photographs (if any):

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Nice ride mang! What mods were needed to install the Camero seats? Also, did you have to move the computer to be able to install those kick panel speakers? I heard you had to move it to under the passenger seat. Can you verify that? I have some seats from a S-10 Cyclone i want to install.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks jarhead!

Camaro seats will bolt right up to the G-body tracks. I originally had buckets and found a set of g-body power seat tracks so minimal tweaking was necessary for me. For the power, i found an original GM harness and it just plugs into the auxiliary power junction.

For the kick panels, i thought i was going to have to relocate the computer but i just moved it to behind the insulation/plastic cover. You will have to adjust the parking brake a little to the left to make it useable.

·
Registered
125 Posts
very sharp ride! love the dual snorkel air cleaner, i should have kept mine off my 83 Z-28!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, they're getting hard to find especially the flexible ducting. I was thinking about getting two intake ducts from a monte carlo SS and seeing if those will fit. Currently, it's a little more for show as the ducts are mounted to the top of the radiator mount/crossmember and obviously unlike a camaro, we don't have a scoops on the hood there. The Monte intakes would draw air next to the radiator.

jarhead, probably wasn't clear enough where i relocated the ECM to— it just moved a little to the left. Tthe cables are long enough to place it below the glovebox, behind the plastic cover/insulation. (couldn't edit my previous post)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 71's been getting all my attention lately so I thought I'd show my 87 some love by finally ripping out the interior and dynamatting the floor (doors were already done). I was going to POR-15 it but when I pulled up the carpet it was so clean, it seemed like a waste to do it. It was even a shame to lay the Dynamat down:

Sadly, I like the before picture better…

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Awesome,like mentioned b4 "GREAT SO CAL MINDS THINK A:beer:LIKE" your bay has some of the same" detail" mine does!!! 5.0 liter h.o,decal on air cleaner,though mine has one air duct(mcss type).you need to get you a bowtie air cleaner nut,it really enhanced the appearence on mine.gL.A.d you decided to show some love to the 5th gen!!!.damn i have to get one pics up my bay.great update and keep CRUCKIN homie:You_Rock:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got around to installing a set of beautifully restored G-body power seat tracks rigged to work for the passenger seat. Works great—now I just need to figure where the heck to mount the switch. Would have been easier if I was using my original buckets but looks like I might be able to tuck them into bottom of the seat hinge cover and make cutouts for the switches…

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sick ride dude, you've done alot of mods that I would really like to do to mine. Just some questions about your tires and rims, any rubbing with the 245/50/15s? Also, do the rears have a different backspacing then the fronts or did you use fronts all round? I'm looking into getting some and painting the inside of the spokes the same color as the cruck. Hope to get my elky as clean as yours!:beer:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys! It's definitely a labor of love but i'm pretty close to getting it exactly the way I want it although with all the TPI talk on the forum, i've been getting the TPI itch!

Mike,
I bought my 16" original IROCs as a set ($100!) but i didn't realize about the different offsets for front and back so I needed spacers for the rears. If you get two sets of fronts you're fine or if you go aftermarket sizes you should be ok too. As you can tell from the photos I had the insets painted to match the dark grey from the body then a clear over both the machined and painted surfaces. I think they turned out pretty well…

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Preparing for a TPI swap:
Acquired a complete TPI MAP intake setup, harness and ECM from a 91 L98 Camaro. Took it apart, cleaned up the intake base and plenum with mag wheel cleaner (great for brightening and cleaning natural aluminum) and freshened it up with a light coat of Eastwood AlumaBlast. Gave a good cleaning to all the individual bits while it was all apart and added a (relatively) cheap set of SLP runners too.

Also found an awesome deal on the most difficult part of the swap: a super clean fuel tank and sender from a 85 TBI El Camino.

Unfortunately after consulting with some TPI experts including our very own Mike aka Darbysan, i'm torn on whether to go through with it.

I'm intent on keeping my modified 305 but between the trick flow heads, XE262 cam and other mods, it's far enough from spec to require quite a bit of custom tuning ($$$). Also the XE262 has a 110 LSA which isn't TPI friendly…so a cam swap would be required… in which case i may as well convert to a roller cam…to the point that the return on investment gets pretty slim that I'd might be better off putting that money aside for an LS swap. But d*mn if i don't love the way the TPI looks…

·
Registered
29 Posts
Question: didn't all of the 1987 models come with California smog items for the 305? I bought mine without realizing I would be getting all of this. After 25 years Texas not longer requires the emission items and I have switched to mech/vacuum advance with 1985 truck carb. Runs much better.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You're probably right since my Elco originally came from Muleshoe Texas. I had to search for awhile to find one with a clean bed AND was all original—it had been bought and sold through the same Chevrolet dealer there twice before I found it. It had all the smog components still intact and passed smog here in CA before and after I added the performance mods.

I suspect since there was no performance version of the El Camino, the emissions equipment was the same for all 50 states.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
they still had fed and ca. emission levels.that only impacts when /where sold new.until the lt1 caprice police cars all ca. police cars had fed only smog equiptment.do the tpi swap you will love the throttle response. i have one on a original zzz ho 350 in a 83 malibu and is awsome.it has the biggest cam of all the ho crate motors and is a happy camper

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ccc
Thanks for the info.

Yeah, after I realized I'd need a cam swap (i have an untapped roller block), i found a stock LT1 roller cam setup from a 95 F-body: cam, roller lifters, spider and retainers. I thought I might just wait til this 305 blows up and just do an LS1 but it currently has only 54k original miles and is pretty stout—well as stout as a 305 can be…

My primary reason for wanting to swap is I'm over that early morning/cold start carb finickiness. I currently have to sit and warm the car up for a few minutes just to be able to move it—and i live in SoCal. Improved throttle response would just be frosting on the cake…

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They came off L69 HO Camaros from 83–85. There were a small handful of 86 but a very small number (according to wikipedia, eleven 86s). The air cleaners are hard to find but around, the ducts less so and the flexible tubing extremely hard to find clean. I believe ramairbox makes the ducts on demand but they're pricey at $80 each.

You can run the stock lid with it and fit a taller air filter (i think it's 2" v 3") but you lose the spiffy H.O. 5.0 decal.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
i just finished the lt1 swap in my elco and what a differance.starts instantly cold and you can stomp it as soon as it fires without even a second of hesitation.do the efi swap you will love it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts