El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm back to working on this project car again...

I've got a 71' with the original steering column and original automatic transmission. I just put the steering column back in today and I dont have whatever the linkage is that goes between the mounting point on the column to the transmission...

Does anybody know what exactly this part is called or have a spare for sale? I have terrible luck getting the wrong parts online sometimes馃槄

Registered
Hey guys, I'm back to working on this project car again...

I've got a 71' with the original steering column and original automatic transmission. I just put the steering column back in today and I dont have whatever the linkage is that goes between the mounting point on the column to the transmission...

Does anybody know what exactly this part is called or have a spare for sale? I have terrible luck getting the wrong parts online sometimes馃槄
If you鈥檙e not worried about sticking with stock parts, Lokar makes a couple really nice kits. You just have to make sure it鈥檚 for the correct diameter steering column.

Premium Member
+1 to the Lokar Universal Shifter Linkage kit. The rod will need to be bent to conform to the curved firewall path and then cut to a proper length. Make your cuts a little at a time and yes, you will be making many trips under your vehicle. If you cut too much off of the rod, you will be buying a new kit.

Rick

Registered
I would call around there's bound to be one somewhere. The factory unit is an excellent set up, I would stay with the factory parts.. I have a tilt wheel which is really nice. I use the vintage black Grant 13" steering wheel. This along with the Lee 14:1 30 pound valve makes my car so much fun to drive, I look for the twisty roads..

Registered
Heres the one I used from Ididit. I do have an Ididit column as well. But this cable shift is a Universal Kit. I will tell you I clocked mine upside down and it works pretty good. A little notchy on my 700r4. It had a Rod style but did not work well. When I would go to D1 it would get stuck. Tried to adjust it but could not get it to work.
Screen Shot 2021-07-21 at 6.02.11 PM.png

Registered
I would call around there's bound to be one somewhere. The factory unit is an excellent set up, I would stay with the factory parts.. I have a tilt wheel which is really nice. I use the vintage black Grant 13" steering wheel. This along with the Lee 14:1 30 pound valve makes my car so much fun to drive, I look for the twisty roads..

View attachment 139252
Nice! 馃憤 :cool:馃憤

Registered
I would try to locate the stock linkage to the trans. I just had no choice as my El Co had this when I bought. Never went to D1 or Low when I test drive it ..Damn! If you have a TH350 I would think it work. Not so sure with a 700r4/4L60 like mine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts