El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you out there used any of the liquid mask products when painting your cars? We have went to a lot of work painting the frame and underneath of ours (frame off) and before we move on to primer and painting on the body... I thought I'd look into the liquid mask products.

How heavy do you put it on, how long does it protect. How well does it wash off or how do you remove it?

Sounds like a great idea, overspray sucks!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No replies to this? I went ahead and picked up a gallon at the local paint store. Sounds like good stuff?? We hope to be shooting primer within a week or so, so I plan to try the stuff out soon to help protect all the work we did on the frame! Later we plan to use it to help keep the overspray off the jambs and inside of the fenders. My last project I was so disipointed to see the engine compartment after shoting the outside of the car. All the gloss was lost due to over-spray.

Last chance guys, any last minute advice?

·
1,867 Posts
I know a guy that has used it. He said that it worked pretty good.

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
Where do you get it? Who makes it? I have not seen or heard of this before but would like to know more about it. Thanks Harald K

·
Registered
77 Posts
OK whos whering the mask ? you or the car . If its the car it sounds like greese if its a person maybe vasaline.Sounds very messy and hard to breath :dontgetit: :yell: :yell: :dontgetit: :yell:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Within a week or two I should have some experiance with this stuff. Not sure the brand off hand, it was from a ppg dealer that also has a lot of 3m stuff. If it works like it says, you spray the stuff on the area you want to protect, mask 18" or so nearest to what you are painting and the liquid mask takes care of the over spray, then simply wash it off later. Sounds good, I'll still probably mask off more to be safe, I'm just trying to get a nicer job on this car. If it works I'll post more details. It looks like a bottle of pink liquid soap. If I remember it was only 14 or 15 bucks.

I agree, maybe I should coat myself, do you think that would keep some of those nasty cancer causing paint chemicals from soaking into my skin! I shouldn't joke about it, I know these paints aren't the best for us, especially spraying in not that greatly ventilated home shop. I didn't take that IQ test the other day. Maybe I should and take it again in a month or two and see how many brain cells die on this project!

·
Director Region 13 (TX) Emeritus
601 Posts
waiting to know

Thanks it will be interesting to see how well it works and how easy it is to remove once your done painting. Harald K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts