El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just drove 1000 miles from Iowa to Virginia to get this almost perfect 1978. There are a few minor problems in the interior. The seat belts dont retract too well but will if you yank on it and they are really dirty (getting my seat and shirts dirty). How do i clean/fix this? Also, how much will it cost to get a small straight crack in the dash fixed? And i might as well throw this one in there too, how much will it cost to get my A/C fixed? It has been converted out of freon and into the new stuff but it isnt blowing cold. And does anyone know where to get a cd player that mounts in but looks like it was original?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Other than the original Stereo nothing is going to "Look" original in that dash. You can buy replacement Stereos that are controllers for CD Changers, new tuners etc... from lots of places. J.C. Whitney , The El Camino Store, EC Parts, and Crutchfield Electronics. They fit the holes and have knobs so they have a "Retro Look" but are better electronics.

J.C. Whitney will sell a repair kit for those type of cracks. I don't know how well it works. There is a company in CA. called "Just Dashes" that will redo the cover on the dash like factory and they do an excellent job and finally the other alternative is to purchase a Full Dash cap.

You can wash the belts they will clean up I would do it in a bucket of detergent and let them soak overnight then rinse really well and let them dry. They will be alright.

There are levers that release the belts they you can buy to fix the sticking. Your seat belt locks are probably broken. Look at the back door jamb. The actuate when the door opens an closes. You should be able to see them and tell if they are broken.

Good Luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts