El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to the 60th Anniversary Steering Committee, my friends. One of the very first tasks of this committee will be to determine where we will be meeting in 2019. The polls by a very wide margin indicate that the Arlington, Texas, location would be the choice of likely NECOA member participants. What are the committee thoughts on the location? This is not a vote – I would like to hear your pros and cons for each of the locations – Wentzville, MO vs. Arlington, TX.

Of course the actual location of the event within the MO or TX selection will initially be dependent on whether we can strike a sponsorship arrangement with one of the GM plants in those cities (both plants made El Caminos). If that does not happen, we will be forced to consider hiring some space, obtaining our own insurance, hiring guards, etc., etc., etc. All of those things cost money – to be discussed later.

Another of the initial steps will be to determine the length of the event. I’ve been considering starting with a meet & greet gathering starting on a Friday afternoon, with registration beginning then and continuing into Saturday morning. Judging would commence on Sunday morning, with awards and closing ceremonies in the early afternoon. We could arrange for a Sunday morning non-denominational service on-site for those hoping to advance their El Camino’s show prestige. This schedule would leave Thursday and Monday as travel days, with Friday morning and Sunday late afternoon and evening as extra travel time as needed. What are the committee’s thoughts on a schedule such as this – what would be good alternate schedules?

Let’s begin our work considering the topics I've laid out above. I’ll try to add other topics for discussion every couple of days – or more often depending on how often we resolve questions. As I said earlier, I'm not asking for votes on any topics - I want your best thoughts that will educate my decision making process. That's what a Steering Committee does when it's working correctly - steering the decision process toward successful planning and implementation. Thanks for your participation - please check this Forum on a daily basis…………………Ken

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Ken, I believe Wentzville would be the best choice because it is in the central U.S. and there wouldn't be any animosity towards the National Director having it in his home state.

I think the best show dates would be,

Thurs. - vendors check in and swap meet people if that is part of it - trailered vehicles entered and camping trailers if we have that. Long distance people check in. Special event things checked in.

Friday - all vehicles checked in all day till 5 or 6. Set up for special things on Friday that will take place on Saturday.

Saturday - Late morning check in 7 - 9:30 Judging begins 10:00 till 3:30. Awards 6:00 along with a BBQ and/or Fish dinner provided by GM?/NECOA/ECC.

Sunday - Clean up and go home for everyone. Just my 2 cents I'm in no matter what we do.

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I am doing a bit of research on both plants/locations and should have an opinion later tonight. At the moment, because of Arlington being closer to me, and that's where my 78 was built, I'm leaning towards choosing the Arlington location right now. I'm all about choosing the location that will be best for ALL, so I'm looking to see which plant produced the majority of El Caminos, AND what plant area would be the most receptive or accommodating to a large event.
I agree with Gene on the scheduling/time frame plans. Thanks.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
I'm kinda leaning Gene's way.
I believe we may have some people that would shy away because of the home team feel.
On the other hand, the attendance numbers would probably benefit from the large Texan membership with a Texas location.

I guess the question is how many attendees would we gain vs. lose from a more central, and less "bias" location?

I also agree with Thursday-Sunday. That's pretty standard.

I'd like to see more input before we start planning details. We need to establish a time period and location first.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
I'm leaning towards genes way also. Less travel distance for more people and the schedule looks good. I guess the location depends more on which place can offer the most.

If you look at the poll numbers the percentage of those bringing an Elky drop more for the Texas location than the Mo. location.

Also something to think about is trying to combine with another major show in the area and scenic areas nearby for a cruise.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
As Ken said, much of the location decision will be up to GM's willingness to sponsor this event. The NECOA needs to reach out, if we haven't already done so, and begin conversation with GM and the plant(s) we are considering. Once this occurs, we'll know our options and the decision should be more apparent. GM HQ is a good starting point for this conversation to begin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Past Texas Director
6,185 Posts
I agree with the above comments...I suppose we'll need Ken to make contact with GM FIRST
and make the location decision according to the responses from the GM bigwigs.
I will agree on whichever location the majority chooses. I'll have two years to prepare for the trip. I've never taken Carlos more than about 200 miles, but like I said, I have two years to get ready wherever we decide to hold the event, I'll be there!

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,715 Posts
there wouldn't be any animosity towards the National Director having it in his home state.
I would really hate to see a decision about location influenced because "someone might whine because the location is in the National Director's home state". Really? Are we really that eat up with political correctness?

Geographically, Missouri and Texas are the most centrally located of all the proposed sites - with Missouri being a little more central than Texas.

I'm not sure discussion of plants that produced El Caminos is relevant to this discussion. 10 plants in the U.S. and several in other countries, including Canada and Mexico built El Caminos. No matter which - if any - GM plant we choose to gather near, only a small number of the El Caminos in attendance will have been built at that plant.

I believe the first step is to determine if GM will be willing to sponsor the event and, the extent of that sponsorship. If GM is not interested, the discussion should then shift to other possible sponsors, geographical location and availability of facilities and relevant points of interest at each potential location.

In the end, selection of a location should be driven by how many El Caminos will attend. I believe, particularly for those that will need to travel long distances, the driving factors will be; cost, distance to travel, numbers of El Camino (owners) that will be there and, points of interest in the surrounding area.

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
I agree that we should first see if GM is going to get onboard with this event. I reckon that if they do,they will want a say on where it is held.
Either location makes geographical sense to me,it's about getting the best attendance possible.It's not about satifying individuals (l would be pushing for Hawaii !:poke:) l have already read enough complaining,we will not satisfy everyone.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
There will always be some who feel "it's not here so I wont attend". We wont be able to satisfy everyone nor should we try.

The main thing is trying to get the best attendance possible. "Home State" advantage should not even come into play.

Texas has a VERY big following of loyal owners, but on the flip side if it's there then we may not get people from farther away like John Harris and the New England crowd for example.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I agree with everyone about getting GM on board for this - Mary Barra is the CEO/etc for GM and I have emailed her and I received a response from one of the people who answer her emails - they replied back thank you and more or less blew me off. It will take further emails from a group of us probably to get a response including Ken. Maybe a show of El Caminos and members at the Arlington plant to talk to the plant manager might stir up GM also. Hopefully the plant manager would pass on the presentation by Ken and some of the Texas members to the main GM plant(Mary Barra/CEO).

[email protected] is her email, if enough people email I'm sure they will have to consider the NECOA as being ligetimate. Gene

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Steve, I had a bit of a thin skin moment. I took something the wrong way someone said and it won't happen again. I am still the Deputy Director of Region 14 and I am still on the committees. I apologize to the committee members and Ken for this and Ken still has my 110% participation on this event and the NECOA/ECC. I was the one who started the El Camino 60th Year Anniversary thread to get this started and Ken ran with it. It is my intent to follow through with the event and help the NECOA/ECC grow.

So let's get to work and email Mary Barra at [email protected] and see if we can get a response. Hopefully Ken will go to the Arlington plant with Elkies and members in hand and make a big enough to do presentation that the plant manager decides to take it to GM. I feel we have to be one of the main players with GM for the event. We own the Elkies and we are the NECOA.

:eek:nfire::eek:nfire::nana2:

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,715 Posts
Apology

Really? Are we really that eat up with political correctness?
Everyone, Gene in particular, I apologize for this comment. It was not meant to be a cheap shot at Gene but, that's the way it came out.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Appproaching GM

Folks, please do NOT bombard the GM eMail with messages yet. We are not nearly ready to approach GM with a proposal that they participate/sponsor the 60th Anniversary event. The first thing any GM manager will do is assign an underling to research the elcaminocentral site to see who we are. And the first thing that person will find is that there is just not a lot of support among the 30,000 members of the NECOA, with a maximum 70+ saying they may attend an event. Besides that, we do not have a plan to talk about, other than we want to have some type of El Camino show somewhere. Some of our hearts are in it, but we need much greater participation from our members. I've got some ideas on boosting that participation, and your posts reaching out and asking folks to get involved are very important. Members apparently get very tired of hearing just my pleas - they need to hear that there are, indeed, others that really want to accomplish this mission. I would also very much like to hear from the other members of the Board of Directors - many of the east coast leaders have not responded in any way to the 60th idea. I'll stop for now with that. But please refrain from writing eMails at this time. When the time for writing is here, please believe that GM will hear from me...................Ken

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As far as a Locaton...........

I've been reading your comments about the selection of a location, and I need to ask a question here. From the Association's standpoint, shouldn't the location decision driven by where we can achieve the largest attendance representing the Association as a whole. We should also consider that the vast majority of those attendees will be from one driving day's distance, shouldn't we?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Agree and always have.

A central location means further distance for some but less for most which hopefully will attract more people.

Don't want to start anything by this but Texas already has a great show with Belton. We need to bring a Belton type show to the rest of the country and world

·
Super Moderator
2,142 Posts
In agreement. The first objective is maximizing participation. Things that should be considered to achieve this would be membership proximity. How far will members have to travel. What will the costs be? Not just the gas but what about lodging? Lastly, What am I going to get for the money I spend. I think we should take into consideration the other attractions in the area and the weather in the area. If Texas is 110 degrees with thunderstorms or Missouri has a high probability of a twister, then we need to rethink the venue. I wish I could be a great help in this area but, I have not been to either locations.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts