El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Ministry of Broke Things
6,518 Posts
Agreed that max participation is #1 priority, even behind being able to have it at a GM plant. What if GM says "sure, you can have it in Detroit" but only a handful of the members are willing to go there? If you open the options up to consider venues outside of the GM plants on the table, that opens up dozens of places in the central US...Bowling Green, KY, Nashville, TN, Tulsa, OK, etc. etc.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Agreement?

I believe that we're all pretty much in agreement that our first choice for a location must be driven by the thought of maximizing participation. And, the maximum participation location is increasingly lop-sided - almost 60 percent more of the respondents of the Poll would attend the event in Arlington than would go to the event in Missouri (there are actually 3 additional members who have chosen to go to TX. They failed to check the Would you attend in TX block, but said they would bring their Elky to TX in the later question). I also make the assumption that Mrs. Wilson would attend Texas, and bring her magnificent Elky, even though she did not check those blocks in the Poll). Why yes, I do study the Poll results!..............Ken

Note: If you want to see who voted in the Poll, open the Thread where the Poll is embedded, or scroll down the HOME page until the Poll shows up. Locate the column of numbers that indicated the voting results for each question. Click once on any of the underlined numbers and the voter identities will be revealed...............Ken

·
Director Region 19 Owner of the KLRMino
1,477 Posts
X100% on max attendance, but with that being said we need to centralize the location. A GM location would be ideal but it could hurt the attendance. West coast and east coast members including the 4 corners of the map will have the longest drive period. Looking at the map I would have to say north Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, should be the focus of this great event. Any farther east or west of these locations I think would hurt attendance.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
X100% on max attendance, but with that being said we need to centralize the location. A GM location would be ideal but it could hurt the attendance. West coast and east coast members including the 4 corners of the map will have the longest drive period. Looking at the map I would have to say north Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, should be the focus of this great event. Any farther east or west of these locations I think would hurt attendance.
X2

Gene

·
1,477 Posts
so I was bored and looked up some random locations while knowing nothing about the location. I tried to stay very centralized.
Texas:
Amarrillo

Oklahoma:
Elk City (how appropriate)
OKC

Kansas:
Wichita
Kansas city
Dodge city ( be fun to overrun with elco's)

Missouri:
Springfield
El dorado springs

·
Deputy Director, Region 14
174 Posts
I've been following along and believe a lot of good points have been made.
Locate to maximize attendance. Then there is the issue of sponsorship. I don't know how a sponsor (manufacturer or aftermarket) makes the decision to get on board. Do we need sponsorship before we need a location? I would hate to think it was settled and then have a sponsor come up with a "yeah, we're in- just as long as you have it _____. " Like I said, I don't know the process. Just spitballing here.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,707 Posts
I'm not sure whether these questions belong in this thread or, in the main 60th anniversary thread but, I'm here so....

--- What are the expectations of what a sponsor will contribute? If "sponsorship" is driving location, what are we expecting from a sponsor that would have that much influence on a location?

--- What are we thinking of an agenda for the event? Someone asked "What are we going to do. Are we going to have a show or, are we just going to stand around and look at each other?". If we have a show, the show would normally be only one day. If the event stretches over 2-4 days, what are we looking for as an attraction on the non-show days, to make people want to come?

·
1,477 Posts
I'm not sure whether these questions belong in this thread or, in the main 60th anniversary thread but, I'm here so....

--- What are the expectations of what a sponsor will contribute? If "sponsorship" is driving location, what are we expecting from a sponsor that would have that much influence on a location?

--- What are we thinking of an agenda for the event? Someone asked "What are we going to do. Are we going to have a show or, are we just going to stand around and look at each other?". If we have a show, the show would normally be only one day. If the event stretches over 2-4 days, what are we looking for as an attraction on the non-show days, to make people want to come?
lets keep this thread as the discussion for location only, I think the sooner we decide a location between us then we can plan the other stuff. I think first and foremost we should decide on a location without the thought of GM being there, and if GM does have some suggestions on the location then we can go with that. anyone have any thoughts on the locations I spitballed.

so I was bored and looked up some random locations while knowing nothing about the location. I tried to stay very centralized.
Texas:
Amarrillo

Oklahoma:
Elk City (how appropriate)
OKC

Kansas:
Wichita
Kansas city
Dodge city ( be fun to overrun with elco's)

Missouri:
Springfield
El dorado springs

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Other Discussion

Danny (SHARP71) made the following post in the Executive Committee Forum. I'm not sure if he was talking about the EC or the SC when he wrote "this committee". The Executive Committee, as a whole, has apparently decided to not get involved with this event, based upon their participation in the discussion up to now. I'm also not sure Danny had read my last post in the "Event Participation" Thread, where I indicated that the members who have indicated they will participate have overwhelmingly selected Texas as their choice for location. The margin of their selection has only increased over the past two months that the Poll has been posted for their votes.

<B>
I believe the committee should narrow the venue location down to 3 choices... from there we can begin open discussions for a final selection. There should be a deadline for discussion and ultimate site location selection, as finding and organizing the venue for events, lodging, travel, etc. will be daunting.

We may also consider a "buy in" for prospective attendees, perhaps $50 a vehicle. So that we can establish a firm commitment from members. These funds could assist with the promotions and arrangements. Nice bling, such as car tags, always foster support!

I stand ready for any assignment needed to get this NATIONAL MEETING started!!!

SHARP71 - NECOA #352
National Deputy Director
"Not all who wander are lost"
My response to Danny's "buy in" suggestion is that the $50 price tag seems a bit expensive to my way of thinking. It's not that folks couldn't afford it, but just the thought in their mind that it's too expensive will turn some against the trip. But I would much rather see us wait until we know the date, exact location, any sponsor and other donation amounts, then consider those funds along with what we are going to offer them for their admittance. Only then should we ask for registration donations, and only with a non-profit goal. If we then set the donation amount commensurate with what they see as their reward from attending, we will collect an amount sufficient to offset our costs when combined with other funds. My opinion..............Ken</B>

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Discussion..................

I've been trying to start discussion subjects in somewhat of a logical progression. Sponsor contributions will be a coming up later - after a location is determined. The idea of possible sponsorship affecting a location decision should be a current topic only with respect to and in relation to the possibility of having our event on GM or other sponsor (Summit?) property, or GMs or another sponsor possibly furnishing a location for the event.

What are we thinking of an agenda for the event? Someone asked "What are we going to do. Are we going to have a show or, are we just going to stand around and look at each other?". If we have a show, the show would normally be only one day. If the event stretches over 2-4 days, what are we looking for as an attraction on the non-show days, to make people want to come?
Another Thread has been started for this discussion...............Ken

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Addressing JKCamion's Post...........

The difficulties of having an event of this size in an area remote from a large membership number are legion! Elk City would sound GREAT, but the logistics of organizing this event there would make for no chance of success - in my opinion. Same for Springfield, Armadillo, and your other spitballs. Check any of the suggested locations and see how many members within 50 miles have been active in the past 6 months. We need members who can physically take care of tasks in the area local to our planned event - things that cannot be handled long-distance. It's going to be difficult enough to put together a local team with the level of hands-on participants available among our membership in the central U.S., but we sure have to have members there. Just my opinion, no offense meant to other opinions............Ken

·
Super Moderator
2,130 Posts
Ken, I am in full agreement. A strong core of local participants is a must. There will have to be planners and a team on the ground locally to pull this off. Some things can be done remotely to keep the ball rolling but, at some point we will have to have folks ready to open the gates.Out of curiosity, what area do we have the most members regularly participating and willing to stage this event? That should be the area that we focus on. We cannot afford to hand this off to people that are not dedicated to its' success.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Ken, I agree - we need a small army of participants who can help with whatever we have to do. They must be committed to the job or jobs at hand.

Gene

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Agree and always have.

A central location means further distance for some but less for most which hopefully will attract more people.

Don't want to start anything by this but Texas already has a great show with Belton. We need to bring a Belton type show to the rest of the country and world
I agree, Gene

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Anything Further?

Is there any further discussion of location issues before a final decision can be announced? Or, maybe I should be asking if there are any disagreements that Texas has been selected by our participating members as their choice for the 60th Anniversary celebration?..............Ken

21 - 40 of 57 Posts