El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Announcement Tomorrow (7/15/17)

I'll make the announcement tomorrow about the location. And, I'll get a letter drafted next week to the Powers-That-Be (PTB) for GM. There's only about 20 folks that could be PBT for an event such as ours. If I go too high, the missive will find itself in a circular 13 file. I may drive over to my local (Arlington) Chevrolet Dealership Monday or Tuesday and discuss the event with a manager there - someone there should have a contact within the Arlington GM assembly plant, or can find an appropriate contact. The plan is progressing, my friends!

After a short struggle, I was able, with the Admins' able assistance, to get the Poll's appearance on the HOME page extended. I want to leave that Poll up until we secure our date and possible sponsorships, but we'll see what happens next that could impact our next moves...............Ken

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
GM Participation?

I just received a message from GM. They will be unable to participate in our celebration at the GM Assembly Plant in Arlington. The Arlington Plant will be undergoing a total reformation during calendar year 2019, and cannot furnish us the space needed for the event. He also said they would most probably not be able to furnish funding assistance, but I will stay in contact. A copy of his message is attached below.

So, it's time to begin searching out other possible locations within the area. Any volunteers? I guess Summit may be the next one to approach?...........Ideas?..............Ken

Ken:

My name is Monte Doran, and I handle PR for Chevrolet trucks. (I also drove a 1964 El Camino in high school with the 194 cu six, for some reason my father didn’t trust me with an SS….)

I unfortunately have no good news to report.

Arlington Assembly will be undergoing a major construction project in 2019. After talking with the team about the build schedule, it was clear the site will not be ready to host your group.

We at Chevy HQ are extremely hesitant to ask dealerships to open up their lots for events like this. Each is an independently owned franchise, so we are not in a position of dictating that they must support an event on our behalf.

As such, I’m afraid we aren’t in a position to offer a location for the event.

I wish you the best on the program. Once you do find a venue/date, please let us know. We likely won’t be able to provide financial support, but if the time is right we could send some trucks for display.

Thanks very much for your support of Chevrolet, and I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you.

Best,

Monte

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
:let_it_all_out: Okay...plan B? :dontknow:

We'll have to think outside the box, if we still want to have a single meeting point. Otherwise, perhaps the mini-Power Tour idea will be our best option...having multiple meeting points throughout the lower 48-states.

If we can come up with an alternate grand meeting place, that may make it easier for people to plan. :usa:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
:let_it_all_out: Okay...plan B? :dontknow:

We'll have to think outside the box, if we still want to have a single meeting point. Otherwise, perhaps the mini-Power Tour idea will be our best option...having multiple meeting points throughout the lower 48-states.

If we can come up with an alternate grand meeting place, that may make it easier for people to plan. :usa:
I've been just watching the site because of being busy with other life's things and such but it's time to get back to the grind here.

Let's get out the thinking caps and see what we can come up with.

Do we need to contact the Wentzville GM plant with a letter? It is the most central location in the country.

Can we have it at a Summit or Jegs location? Can they accommodate the show or not?

Do we need to come up with another site poll and ask for more participation from members and leadership?

There is still 2 years to get our show together and we need to get the members and leadership on one page for this event.

The biggest concern right now is to establish a place for the event and continue to ask member's and leadership to work together for one common goal of the NECOA/ECC. Thanks for reading.

Let's keep the ideas flowing and work together.

Gene

:driving:

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
Summit Responded..............

I received a response from my letter to Summit Public Relation/Media contact (copied below). I'll let the Committee know as soon as I hear from the Motorsports and Events Person. I don't anticipate that the wait for Summit's response will be too long. If Summit responds positively, I'll talk to them about holding a series of Pre-Anniversary events at their facilities during 2018 - next year. Those "Pre" events will be our chances to form up some "El Camino Power Tour" trips that would culminate at single facilities, or involve trips between their 4 facilities that will be open next year. I anticipate the individual "tours" will be more appropriate for our members' participation. I'll put together a Poll to test the ideas, after I get a handle on the Calendar work. Speaking of calendars, I will work some 2019 event information into each of the CY-2018 issues, to remind every purchaser, or observer, that the events(s) will happen.

Just as soon as we establish a primary co-sponsor(s), we'll need to begin contacting all of the next level sponsors - getting our event information in at the earliest possible date should enhance our chances for meaningful support from the others.

I'm going to be asking for volunteers to begin scouting out possible venues that could handle the anticipated volume of El Caminos and spectators at our event. That venue will most likely be our largest expense aside from advertising. Another task we need to get done is establishing our target date for the 60th celebration. In 2019, Columbus Day falls on October 14. If we schedule our event for Friday and Saturday, October 11th & 12th, that would allow a 2-day window of travel for those whose States observe Columbus Day as a holiday, like Florida among many other. This date sequence could increase our attendance. Opinions!.............Ken

Summit Response:
Hello Ken,

Hard to believe it’s60 years for the El Camino. Getting old.

Anyway, I will forwardthis to our Motorsports and Events people. I’m sure they will be in contactwith you.

Thanks for letting usknow about your event.

Alan

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Ken,

The NECOA has my full support for this event. I can help in many ways and I am volunteering for anything that would make this event a reality for the NECOA and it's members. Thanks.

Gene

:eek:nfire::beer:

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
The response sounds way more promising than GMs.

Summit is a stand up company, one of the best and would be a great sponsor for our event.

The Columbus day weekend sounds like a perfect time.

·
Acting Director, Region 13
2,048 Posts
I agree it sounds promising, and Columbus day weekend works for me as well.

Tim

·
Deputy Director, Region 25 Site Supporter
2,574 Posts
Will be interesting to see what Summit's events people respond with. Won't take much to beat the GM response,they sound like they only want to get a truck sale out of it.
Columbus day weekend is no problem for me.

·
Super Moderator
1,561 Posts
If we can have the 'El Camino Power Tour' pass through Mississippi gulf coast during Cruisin' the Coast (first full week in October), we could probably pick up a handful of El Caminos from there. This would also provide those on the long haul to have an event within an event. Big time 'bang for the buck'.

·
Past Director Region 13, Senior Member
2,715 Posts
Sounds good - both the date and the "power tour" idea.

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Ken, what are the four Summit locations are you referring to?

If we're talking about conducting these "Tours" at Summit's retail locations, Summit lists it's 3 retail locations as Tallmadge, OH, Sparks NV, and McDonough, GA.

I don't know the proximity of the other locations, but Reg 18 couldn't muster enough members to attend this year's Pismo gathering! Sparks NV is not a large populated area and will most likely require members to spend the night, at minimum.

Of course, I'm ALL IN, but we risk embarrassment if we don't figure a way to motivate members to spend their vacation dollars to attend a tour in Nevada and the others. Although it's proximity to Reno will help.

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Summit Locations..................

Summit lists it's 3 retail locations as Tallmadge, OH, Sparks NV, and McDonough, GA.
Add Arlington, Texas, to that list in Spring to Summer of 2018, and that's the 4 locations, Danny. There's going to be a lot of work required to make any major effort next year - and in 2019 for that matter - but only time will tell if the plan may be viable. I will start an opinion Poll in the next few days to gauge members' interest in the "Power Tours", but I suspect the Regions within a day's drive may try to have the numbers that could make it work. We'll see, is all I can say at this time. I'm certainly open for discussion - that's what I'm asking for................Ken

·
Participating Member
2,257 Posts
Do we have any idea when the Nevada tour would be? Reno puts on one of the biggest hot rods shows in the nation in August... Hot August Nights! I would image that this show would be advantageous for Summit to display their wares. If so, I could start working reservations for the members.
I hope Summit responds soon! :eek:nfire:

·
Administrator
7,007 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Nothing Concrete

Do we have any idea when the Nevada tour would be?
No concrete plans yet, Danny. If I don't hear something positive from Summit pretty soon, we're going to need to start our own planning without consideration of setting dates with their collaboration. We may not attract major sponsorship. Please allow me a few day to get the initial phase of the Calendar project into the voting stage, and I'll get back to devoting more time to the 60th event. I'll have a few days between voting and beginning the actual builds. I'm very concerned that we are not getting discussion from the majority of our Steering Committee. If discussions do not start up, I'll set the date myself and start making other discussions with the input of the few who are participating......................Ken

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Some ideas if that doesn't work out might be: Abandoned Walmart stores we could rent out for the weekend, Local schools with big parking lots - use the students for security, etc. if possible - Large community ballparks could be rented out also.
Just a few that came to mind. Thanks

Gene

:eek:nfire:
I think this entry should be moved to the location discussion thread and Universities and Malls could also be considered as well.

Thanks, Geno.

:usa:

41 - 57 of 57 Posts