El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is this the same thing as the lock up switch. 1987 305 I keep trying to find the part number but nobody seems to use the words lockup?

Kickdown solenoid # 2N1089 rock auto $42.99. Is this what I'm looking for?:dontknow::dontknow: It's the only leak I have on my truck.

Here's the connector I have is this a match?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool I had it once and now I can't find it.:secret:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
You don't have a kick-down solenoid. The only electrical system for your trans is lock-up. The cable from the trans to the carb is for shift timing, pressure and passing gear. If you are leaking at the case connector for lock-up, you need to drop the pan, unplug the internal harness at the case connector, pull out the connector, install a new o-ring and re-assemble everything. Change the filter and pan gasket while you're at it.

Now if the leak is at the case connector, but is coming through the pins at the connector, you need a new connector. This is what it looks like. If you need one you can get this universal connector from this site. http://cobratransmission.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11_19_33_83&products_id=2031

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You don't have a kick-down solenoid. The only electrical system for your trans is lock-up. The cable from the trans to the carb is for shift timing, pressure and passing gear. If you are leaking at the case connector for lock-up, you need to drop the pan, unplug the internal harness at the case connector, pull out the connector, install a new o-ring and re-assemble everything. Change the filter and pan gasket while you're at it.

Now if the leak is at the case connector, but is coming through the pins at the connector, you need a new connector. This is what it looks like. If you need one you can get this universal connector from this site. http://cobratransmission.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_11_19_33_83&products_id=2031

http://cobratransmission.com/images/GM200%204R%20Connector%20Case%204%20prong%20square.JPG

That's it so I don't need the switch just the connector and drop the pan and swap it with a new filter also correct? The tning that gets me I can't find the lock-up switch no matter how I enter it at the online parts stores.
Thanks Mike
Robert

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
It's called "lock-up solenoid", and I never buy them from auto parts stores so I can't really say who's got one. I buy from Transtar Industries or PDQ trans parts, they carry it. The site I linked to on my last post probably carries it. OK, I found it for you at the site I mentioned on my last post. Here it is. :beer:

http://cobratransmission.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_11_19_33_83

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It's called "lock-up solenoid", and I never buy them from auto parts stores so I can't really say who's got one. I buy from Transtar Industries or PDQ trans parts, they carry it. The site I linked to on my last post probably carries it. OK, I found it for you at the site I mentioned on my last post. Here it is. :beer:

http://cobratransmission.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_11_19_33_83
Thanks I bought the plug and the frt. was twice the price but this issue is done so on to the next thing.
Thanks again for all the input and still haven't been to a mechanic sense I joined. EXCEPT HERE. Why is there such a big difference in$$$ on some of the switches? I know what cheap is but I see a big gap in ones on your link for the same motor?

:You_Rock:

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Thanks I bought the plug and the frt. was twice the price but this issue is done so on to the next thing.
Thanks again for all the input and still haven't been to a mechanic sense I joined. EXCEPT HERE. Why is there such a big difference in$$$ on some of the switches? I know what cheap is but I see a big gap in ones on your link for the same motor?

:You_Rock:
It's probably whether or not you are getting a harness with it, or a solenoid only that you splice in. The solenoid is hard wired to the internal harness. You wouldn't need the harness, it comes with instructions that are easy to understand. :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's probably whether or not you are getting a harness with it, or a solenoid only that you splice in. The solenoid is hard wired to the internal harness. You wouldn't need the harness, it comes with instructions that are easy to understand. :beer:

Thanks
Robert

·
Registered
43 Posts

Now if the leak is at the case connector, but is coming through the pins at the connector, you need a new connector. This is what it looks like. If you need one you can get this universal connector from this site.
http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...oducts_id=2031

Mike, that's a cool site. Is the connector for a 200-4r the same as on an '82 th350c? Mine is leaking at the pins - when it's disconnected the pins are wet with fluid - it shouldn't be wet should it?
I searched for th350c and only came up with some round rubber gaskets?? I need to replace the entire connector; probably inside the tranny as well as the outside hookup and my outside hookup looks just like the picture HDup showed. Thanks. Greg

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Now if the leak is at the case connector, but is coming through the pins at the connector, you need a new connector. This is what it looks like. If you need one you can get this universal connector from this site. http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...oducts_id=2031

Mike, that's a cool site. Is the connector for a 200-4r the same as on an '82 th350c? Mine is leaking at the pins - when it's disconnected the pins are wet with fluid - it shouldn't be wet should it?
I searched for th350c and only came up with some round rubber gaskets?? I need to replace the entire connector; probably inside the tranny as well as the outside hookup and my outside hookup looks just like the picture HDup showed. Thanks. Greg
Already ordered the connector the frt. was double the price but I need it. I hope it comes with the o-ring and I have the filter and gasket on order also. I will fix it when dropping in my new 350n I'm finishing up now. anything ELSE I SHOULD CHANGE IN THE TRANNY WHILE I'M AT IT?
Thanks
Robert

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts

Now if the leak is at the case connector, but is coming through the pins at the connector, you need a new connector. This is what it looks like. If you need one you can get this universal connector from this site.
http://cobratransmission.com/index.p...oducts_id=2031

Greg,
Here's the link to the case connectors for a 350C. There are 2 types, a 2 prong and 3 prong. Scroll down about 3/4 of the page and you'll see them listed. :beer:

http://cobratransmission.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_11_19_35_101

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

http://cobratransmission.com/images/GM200%204R%20Connector%20Case%204%20prong%20square.JPG

O.K. I got the connector is there supposed to be a gasket it didn't come with one? I ordered it from the link you supplied. I hate to drop the pan and not be able to install it.
Robert

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bump

·
TrannyMike
2,807 Posts
Robert the connector uses an o-ring. If it didn't come with one don't begin. You'll definitely need it. If you need one right away and nobody has it locally, call my shop at 408-629-4205 and I'll drop one in an envelope and send it to you. I'm in San Jose so it would probably take 2-3 days to get to you. I'm saying call because I've been so busy lately that I haven't been on the computer as much lately. Let me know if you need it I don't mind. :beer:

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Robert the connector uses an o-ring. If it didn't come with one don't begin. You'll definitely need it. If you need one right away and nobody has it locally, call my shop at 408-629-4205 and I'll drop one in an envelope and send it to you. I'm in San Jose so it would probably take 2-3 days to get to you. I'm saying call because I've been so busy lately that I haven't been on the computer as much lately. Let me know if you need it I don't mind. :beer:
Thanks will advise after hitting a couple shops down here.:beer:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts