El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on headers for my 1981 with a first gen 350 and 700r4. I already have the Jeep steering shaft so clearance shouldn’t be an issue in the engine bay. I just don’t want them hang down too far beneath the car. Thanks!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good info, thanks! I’d like more torque, but don’t want to sacrifice ground clearance.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Long is good for torque, but usually bad for ground clearance. I went with mids with my swap, and added an "H" pipe. The "H" pipe will help with toorque. Mine made 330hp but 340tq to the rears, so I'm a believer in the "H" also, my middle initial!

Joe

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was lucky. I located a set of the old Edelbrock tes headers. So the fit the car and have all the hookups I needed

·
Registered
68 Posts
I had long Hedman Hedders. After fitting with new wheels, tires and suspension upgrade with 2" drop to correct geometry the headers are now 2.5" off the ground and will grind the pavement during normal driving. I am in the process of swapping to mid length headers.

I think you need to consider your future options and current setup to determine the best choice. I had ZERO problems with the long headers with the stock ride height and standard tires. I even upgraded wheels to 17" and again no clearance problems. I probably had about 5" of clearance. It wan't until I changed tires and suspension when the concerns appeared. So, take the time to do some measurements now and analyze your future goals and you should be able to make a good choice.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
I used Sanderson shorties on my '65 LS3 swap. Read the article on their website. The benefits to running long tube headers apparently only happen when you are running flat out. Here's a shot made during the build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts