El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at getting summit's long tubes and dual exhaust kit for my 87 305 (200-4r) camino. It said on the sidebar you have to have this special double-hump crossmember or you'll have "clearance issues." Anyone runnin' this setup under the stock crossmember?

·
Deputy Director Region 6
8,954 Posts
I have hooker long tubes on my 84 with a th350C with a stock crossmember & the muffler shop put a small indentation in the pipe under the crossmember & Have not hit anything with the exhaust ! Didn't have the money for a new crossmember !!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea they want 200 dollars for their crossmember. Rather spend that money on booze.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Do a lookup on Iceman crossmembers, they're a little cheaper plus lighter, alot of people swear by them. If you know anyone with fab skills you could end up having it done for free.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would have to have a look at mine again, but I swear they go through my crossmember. Maybe a custom job by the PO? :dontknow:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gonna hope under mine and take a gander to see how much clearance I would lose. It's not an effin' lowrider so I don't see what losing 2 inchs of clearance is gonna matter.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If you could dent the exhaust tube and get away with it, could you also cut a notch in the crossmember and box it back in to get the same effect, or would this reduce the strength of the crossmember so much that it would not be worth it?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I also have the long tube Hookers on my '84. The local muffler shop cut a 6 inch notch and boxed in the stock cross member. The cut is about 1 inch deep. The exhaust pipe is 2 1/2 inch diameter, and has been flatten about a 1/4 inch on top to give almost a 1 inch clearance between the cross member and the pipe. For me, this was cheaper than buying a new cross member. I haven't experienced any problems.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I have long tube headers with a stock TH350 that's notched and have had no issues with running 3" pipes

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Where did you get the 3" exhaust?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Built it, but I also have a healthy big block that needed to be able to breathe

1 - 16 of 16 Posts