El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1986 El Camino
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So I’m in need of a door for my elco. Discovered it had previous repair and the bondo must’ve had air pockets. And my father in law ,who works in auto collision and has his own shop, said it would be best to get a new door. So if anybody wants to help me out that would be great!

·
Senior Member - 2019 Exceptional Action Award
935 Posts
I'm sure you know they sell "new" repop doors but they are pricy ! 5 or 10 years ago you could still find descent doors here in the sunshine state, they where almost impossible to find 30 years ago in the northeast ! I bought a Malibu Coupe in CT just for the doors 30 years ago ! I have my original set from my 84' that I patched with some new metal and used them until I found a better set and my 84' is a Florida car bought new at Cox Chevrolet in Bradenton ! If your father in law is in the body work business maybe he can do some metal patches on you old ones?

·
Registered
1986 El Camino
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure you know they sell "new" repop doors but they are pricy ! 5 or 10 years ago you could still find descent doors here in the sunshine state, they where almost impossible to find 30 years ago in the northeast ! I bought a Malibu Coupe in CT just for the doors 30 years ago ! I have my original set from my 84' that I patched with some new metal and used them until I found a better set and my 84' is a Florida car bought new at Cox Chevrolet in Bradenton ! If your father in law is in the body work business maybe he can do some metal patches on you old ones?
He doesn’t think it’s worth the repair. Plus he is in Texas. When I take it down there it’ll be there for awhile to get all redone. I’m just trying to do as much prep work for him as I can. But a 2door Malibu has the same body lines as an elco? I have an 86

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
The lines are different. There are creases and edges on a Monte door that aren’t on a Camino. The line about 4” below the mirror and the bulky bump toward the bottom, almost like a giant rub strip, are Monte. Your front clip and door are all Monte Carlo, and someone has probably used filler to make the quarter panel match the lines of the door. (Unless your door IS a Camino door and it’s full of filler to match the fender.)
Patrick

·
Registered
1986 El Camino
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So the guy I bought it from said it was in an accident and the driver door got messed up. It has bad bondo work on the bottom and rusted completely out cause of it. That’s why I want a new driver door. But I never knew that. This is my first and only g body. And I don’t know anybody else who has one. I appreciate all the info!

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
He may not have known it wasn’t a Camino door either. Either way, you have a really cool cruck, you just need to be sure what was done at the doors to put that front clip on (because the Camino quarter won’t match a Monte door unless one or the other is altered some.)
Patrick

·
Registered
1986 El Camino
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! And I’ve been trying to figure out the history of it for awhile now. I was told it was a choo choo SS. I never thought it was a choo choo, but love the look anyway. And he wasn’t trying to ask genuine choo choo prices. The interior has a lot of Monte pieces. But I never thought about the front clip, doors, etc being Monte Carlo cause I kept reading that wouldn’t work. And the previous owner told me he never worked on it just drove it. His buddy did everything. And his buddy claimed it just sat in the field for 20 years cause of a damaged driver door. I bought carfax and it said it changed from gray to black in 2013. I’m assuming that’s when the swap happened. But neither one of them had it until 2015.

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 13
6,622 Posts
ahhhh, now we see how much you know about G-bodies! 😁 (don't worry, it's all good)

just so you know, you can swap almost EVERYTHING from 1 gbody to another. doors, front clips, interiors, under the hood, rear axles. now, that being said, as @pbr400 pointed out, it's not a perfect swap in some cases due to the body lines . so if you have questions ask away.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts