El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am new to this site and glad that I found it!
I am in search of a PAINTABLE hard bed cover. I recently bought an 81' Camino and really wanna restore it and fix it up nice. It already has bucket seats and new headliner and what not. The exterior needs some TLC. I want to give it a nice paint job but I want a bed cover that I can paint to match. I like the pictures I've seen on here of the 2 piece ones too. If someone can give me info on where to find such thing please let me know!
Thanks,
-Shannon

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
Hey! Welcome!

Well your best bet is to go with a fiberglass hardtop. They are durable. I am currently interested in finding a cover too, but they are a bit tricky to find

Oh a better search result it is called a "tonneau cover"

Just search "5th generation Tonneau covers"

Brandon

·
Registered
81 Posts
My 84 SS came with a fiberglass bed cover, make sure to get one that has a drainage trough for the rear glass and a way to drain it. I also coated my bed with brush on bed liner, cheaper than spray on and lasts just as long. Its available at Walmart.

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Welcome to our Forums, Shannon - My 1983 has a hard cover made by Gaylord's in California. I think they cost around $1000 today plus shipping. Many of the El Camino vendors also stock this item, like Honest Charlie, OPGI, Lauren Engineering, etc. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only covers that I have found have not been paintable material. I found some fiberglass ones too but all with like a textured top.. I'm not sure why my page says 5th generation.. I don't know what that means to be honest. LOL.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Welcome aboard Shannon from sunny central Florida.

1st gen "1959-60" 2nd gen "1964-67" 3rd gen "1968-72" 4th gen "1973-77" 5th gen ""1978-87"

Try Craftek for a bed cover. Here is a link to them.

http://craftecinc.com/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Bed/Tonnau cover

Mine came with a hard fiberglass cover with struts and a drainage channel mounted in front of the bed under the rear window. if you go this route, make sure the water drains thru the wheel well and not into the body cavities. The one i have costs 1100.00 dollars new, fortunatly it was installed before i bought it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts