El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1987 El Camino from a local old lady. Its pretty much all original, and I mostly want to keep it that way.

The car is missing the body side molding on the passenger door. You can see what the driver's side door molding looks like in the photo.

Here's my factory build sheet:

The BW2 option is 'deluxe body side molding' ... which I assume is different than the 'standard' body molding, which is all chrome and available on several parts websites. Mine, which I assume is the 'deluxe' BW2 molding, has a black center with chrome edges. According to the previous owner, the molding was factory installed and was on the car since new.

I can't find this molding anywhere, and would really like to replace the missing piece on the passenger door. It seems to only be held on with double side adhesive foam tape, no hardware or clips.

If anyone knows of a source for this molding, I'd really appreciate the tip. Thanks!

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Here you go with part numbers it looks like there was black and see the footnotes about adhesive pieces.

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
Jason,

Almost. I've got a spare NOS one but it goes on 78-79 (p/n 1154685). The 80-87 (p/n 1155614) is slightly different. On the 80-87, the chrome edge goes right to the edge of the moulding. On the 78-79, the chrome stops about a millimeter from the edge of the moulding, and the very edge is black. On the two pictures, the left one and the top one is the 78-79 variety. Most people won't notice the difference.

I'd sell the 78-79 moulding for $40, that's what I was asking when I tried to sell it at the flea market a couple years ago. Tape covering the adhesive is still on it.

You can come take a look at it if you want to meet me in Alexandria, VA.

Jim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys rock, thanks for the info!

I'm going to hit my two local you-pull-it junk yards on Friday to try and find the trim strip.

Jim Camino,
If I can't find it at the junk yard, I'll take yours for $40. That minute difference won't bother me. I'll message you this weekend to let you know either way. I really appreciate your help!

PS: Are there any good swap meets in the MD / VA / DC area that have a lot of G-body and 1980's era parts?

·
Deputy Director, Region 4
929 Posts
OK, sounds good.

I haven't found any swap meets around here, probably some out in the more rural areas.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts