El Camino Central Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

My name is John O'Callaghan, and I am brand new to this discussion board. I know little to nothing about El Caminos, except for the fact that my father, Kevin O'Callaghan, built one in the 70's. I was home for the holidays and we went through his old photo albums and i could see how much he missed that car. I took the liberty of scanning all of the photos I could of the car and also the article that was written up about it in the Sept. 1976 issue of Street Power Magazine. I am trying to hunt down his old El Camino, if it still exists, to see if I can acquire it for a retirement gift for him and I to re-rebuild together.

A little about the car and my dad:
It's a blue, 71 El Camino SS with some pin striping on the sides.
My father worked on long island at the time at a machine shop in Massapequa. That's where he built the engine. The 454 block he kept redish/orange and almost all other parts possible he chromed. He won the Nassau Coliseum First Prize in class (not sure what year). Around 1979 he had to sell the car with a wife and kids on the way. At one point, and I'm not sure if this is why he sold the car, but he twisted the rear end doing a burn out on sunrise highway in Bellmore at the car show. One wheel hit pavement, the other a wet sewer cap, and the whole rear had to be replaced.
The plate number when he had it was: 222-FSL and it was last registered to him around 1978. I do not know the VIN.

I'm not sure who he sold it to, where it is now, or anything past his ownership really.

Below are some photos if anyone has seen this car!

Any tips or advice any of you have on how or where to begin the search would be much appreciated!

Thank you all and have a fantastic New Year!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Great story! Good luck. Have you tried contacting any of the shops that are in the article? The new owner may have sought out repairs or maintenance and gone to them. Also check the local machine shops. Maybe put up a sheet with pictures asking for info at the shops snd parts stores. If it’s still in the area that might shake it out. If it left, someone may know where and by whom.
Patrick

·
Deputy Regional Director, Region 6
2,386 Posts
Hi John, welcome from Wesley Chapel, Florida. That was indeed a sweet ride. I wish you luck in finding it.
If it is still registered, it should be able to be located through the various DMV's as long as you have the serial number.
Keep us posted with any progress you make.
R/T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you have any old DMV paperwork? Registration or insurance card? Good luck on your search!!
Matty man
All I have is the plate number and I snuck a copy of his current licence. Nothing else unfortunately. You need proof of prior ownership to get the VIN in NY so I think that one hit me a dead end already.

Thank you for your help though Matty!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great story! Good luck. Have you tried contacting any of the shops that are in the article? The new owner may have sought out repairs or maintenance and gone to them. Also check the local machine shops. Maybe put up a sheet with pictures asking for info at the shops snd parts stores. If it’s still in the area that might shake it out. If it left, someone may know where and by whom.
Patrick
That's a GREAT idea! Thanks Patrick! I'm going to call around to some shops after this holiday weekend and see if anyone has some leads.

Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi John, welcome from Wesley Chapel, Florida. That was indeed a sweet ride. I wish you luck in finding it.
If it is still registered, it should be able to be located through the various DMV's as long as you have the serial number.
Keep us posted with any progress you make.
R/T
I tried that but I don't have the serial number or VIN unfortunately.
Thank you though!

·
Registered
87 elcamino v6 4.3 t.b.i.
296 Posts
You should be able to obtain the vin from DMV because u know the name of owner(ur dad) year/mk/mdl. And license plate number that the car was registered in. Should be easy,but expensive/time consuming. If u know any cops/equivalent, whom have access to n.c.I.c. database,they can look that stuff up easy squeeze. Sweet ride. But honestly,even if it's a mess now, I can't imagine someone parting with that year unless you were offering amount he couldn't refuse.might be better/easier to obtain same year/diff car.Still u never know, good luck. Do not give up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.