El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1983 El Camino SS - Choo Choo Custom
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a working stock radio w/ cassette for my '83 SS. The build sheet says it came with "UN3 AM/FM Cassett". It's been replaced and I'm trying to get it back to the way it came from the factory. Have found some 3.5" dash speakers to replace the originals.
Thanks,
Gabe

·
Registered
87 TX import
42 Posts
Trying to find a working stock radio w/ cassette for my '83 SS. The build sheet says it came with "UN3 AM/FM Cassett". It's been replaced and I'm trying to get it back to the way it came from the factory. Have found some 3.5" dash speakers to replace the originals.
Thanks,
Gabe
I'm a newbie to the El Camino world, so I apologize in advance if this isn't what you're after. But I just stumbled across it on eBay while searching for bits for my (soon to arrive) Elkie.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
That’s the 1.5 DIN or whatever GM called it-it’s a great radio but won’t fit in an ‘85 or older unless you swap out the panel and pieces around it. OP wants the single DIN with knobs on either side.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toad & Patrick,
Thanks for the input. Learning as I go as well. Got the ole gal running after sitting for many many years, now sorting out a few non mechanical things. Toad, Good luck with your project.
Gabe

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
They made some really nice aftermarket sound systems for that dash. They fit just a good as the stock unit but sound light years better and look real nice.. I like the Alpine units. The sound is amazing..

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pitts,
Sound-wise I'd prefer this, but going for the stock setup if I'm able to round up the parts reasonably.
Also looking at some RetroSound options. New technology with a vintage look (no cassette tho).

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I would not use any of the after market chassis in a stock radio. You would be much better off using the stock Delco radio. They sound so much better..

I installed a mini jack in my stock 1969 Delco AM radio. All you need to do is take toe cover off and clip the blue wire the side that goes to the volume knob is to the radios amp and the other coming off the circuit board is the AM tuner. Use two 1K resisters for each stereo channel so they could be used together as mono..

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pitts,
I've got a line on a Delco cassette stock unit, so if all pans out I'll be in business.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
They sound good. I had a 1983 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Brougham. It had a factory Bose radio with a cassette. That was one of the best factory sound systems I ever heard..

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I had an ‘86 Fleetwood Brougham with ‘Symphony Sound’ and it sounded very nice. I’d record from CD to casette through my home stereo’s equalizer and just barely tweak the bass and treble and it was amazing how good Metallica and ZZ Top would sound.
Patrick

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Thanks,
Gabe
Hey gave
I don’t know what state your in but I can give you
2 phone numbers both are (Rhode Island) all the guy does is g body parts has many Elcamino montecarlo etc from 79up I’m sure he can help you out
Ralph 401-487-7139 days
Jim. 401-548-1250 nights weekends
They do ship
Peter

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Peter. If the one I'm working on doesn't pan out I'll give them a try. Appreciate the info.
Gabe

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have one coming just like that one. Looking forward to getting that stock one in there next week.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts