El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and am looking for a '87 El Camino. The vehicle does not have to have an engine or trans. I would prefer a clean interior with bucket seats and straight body. I am a serious buyer who will consider any vehicle in the TX, OK, or NM area. Thank you.

·
Banned
881 Posts
Welcome to ECC/NECOA Joe!

I would recommend calling Bethany Kars in OK City.

I met Phil & Barbara Swartz a couple of years ago when I was on a trip to OK City. They have lots of extremely nice El Caminos. Most of them are rust free, low mileage, freshly painted 5th generation Elkys. All are nicely detailed. I test drove a 78 SS while I was there.

·
Registered
314 Posts
why do u want an 87?

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Bethany does have some nice rides, but you can also check Auto Trader and even Ebay, tailor your search to your area so you can check the car out before you bid. Bethany also lists their Elkys on Ebay at times. I found my Elky in the Auto Trader, but it was also listed on Ebay. As far as limiting yourself to an 87, all Elkys are pretty much the same in appearence from 82-87, only very subtle changes were made, like outside mirrors, radio bezels, and of course transmission options.

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
I like to check here: http://www.collectorcartraderonline.com/adsearch.html

You're right, the fifth generation El Caminos mostly look alike, especially '82-'87. While the sport mirrors are different on the earlier models, the '86-87 look exactly alike.

Like many collectible cars, the first or last year of production are often sought out by collectors. I looked for my '87 because I specifically wanted the last year of the El Camino. I also wanted a Choo Choo and bucket seats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. I have checked out your links and have seen some of these in previous searches. Bethany does have some very nice caminos, but I am looking more for a project car. I have owned a '72 SS and a '76 SS before and am looking for a later model to try my hand at. I really don't have a reason for being specific to a '87 model other than this was the last year of production. It has been about 8 years since I have had a "toy" car to play with (I am getting out of the motorcycle business) and really just want a late model elky to try my hand at more technical hot rodding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
i have an 85' i have been considering to sell but wasent sure it has good interior the exterior has a few dents im in houston, im asking about 3,000 it would make a good project car i just don't have the time or money to put into it. you can email me at [email protected] or call 832-566-9599 since you are in texas too.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would recommend calling Bethany Kars in OK City.
isn't that place a little on the pricey side? i was looking through their inventory and they got nice cars no doubt about it, but they want an arm and a leg for 'em. i went to carlisle and i saw several 5th gens in great condition for a 1/3 of the price.

·
Registered
114 Posts
87 El Camino

Want to come to Pennsylvania?

Collectors' Cars & Services

CHEVY '87 EL CAMINO , V8 350 motor, auto, dual exhaust, runs great, $1,500. Call 717-896-2706
Published in The Patriot News on 01/20/04

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks PA_82Elky, but PA is a little out of my range for car shopping. sexy84, I agree that Bethany's inventory is pricey, but they are very nice vehicles, just not really what I'm looking for. Phillyttops, thanks for the offer, but Houston is a pretty good haul from where I'm at in TX (small town south of Lubbock). I will keep you in mind if I don't find anything, though. I have found a couple of '87's (locally) that I'm somewhat interested in. Don't really know if either will pan out. I'm still looking, so if anybody runs across anything, I would appreciate the response. Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
114 Posts
8O .....Oh no, don't tell me I passed up grandma's truck that she hasn't driven since 1988 when papa died! Where was it anyway? Where are you? Send a picture sometime.

But I'm glad another Elky is going to a good home - or am I gonna see it at Spring Carlisle in the car corral for $6500? :lol:

JB - Camp Hill

·
Registered
28 Posts
i'm in sunbury.the car was in halifax.it's in good shape.i've been looking for a 5th gen elky in my area for awile and most of them are too far away or in rough shape.the work thats already been done to the drivetrain(motor,trans,rear) was worth the price alone :) .it'll probably never have a for sale sign on it,although it may be seen at the local drag strip or car show in the near future. :p

1 - 13 of 13 Posts