El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I purchased a '78 GMC Caballero about 3 years ago. Since we live in Minnesota, and since the car is pretty tough looking, we can't drive it too much (weather and the cops are not nice to it).
Its got the sweet curved glass in the rear, a newer engine, and the words Iroc-n-roll on both sides. Its got some headliner issues and the electrical system is sketchy (blinkers don't work) and the gas gauge is broken. Its got very little rust and is a bouncy ride (those back wheels that are fatter than normal). The interior is in pretty good shape too.

We paid about $2500 for it. And its been really fun. But the last two winters have been long - and the poor thing has spent the entire last year in storage. We just don't have the tinkering gene, and the small repairs to get it hassle free (blinkers would be nice) are not a top priority.

Please advise on the best way to get it off our hands aside from the for sale sign and parking it on a well-trafficked and "cool" street (where some hipsters we'll want it - some clueless hipsters like ourselves who will pay a couple grand to look cool without too much attention to the real rigors of having a vintage car).

Oh, and how much could we ask for? The engine is really in pretty great shape.

- thanks -

·
87 Choo Choo
1,406 Posts
Alyn said:
My husband and I purchased a '78 GMC Caballero about 3 years ago. Since we live in Minnesota, and since the car is pretty tough looking, we can't drive it too much (weather and the cops are not nice to it).
And the problem is? J/K :lol: Cool name by the way...

Its got the sweet curved glass in the rear, a newer engine, and the words Iroc-n-roll on both sides. Its got some headliner issues and the electrical system is sketchy (blinkers don't work) and the gas gauge is broken. Its got very little rust and is a bouncy ride (those back wheels that are fatter than normal). The interior is in pretty good shape too.
In other words, no major issues, pictures are always a great help when trying to estimate a value. But since you're in MN I'd be concerned about frame rot? On the blinker issue, have you replaced the fuse?

We paid about $2500 for it. And its been really fun. But the last two winters have been long - and the poor thing has spent the entire last year in storage. We just don't have the tinkering gene, and the small repairs to get it hassle free (blinkers would be nice) are not a top priority.

Please advise on the best way to get it off our hands aside from the for sale sign and parking it on a well-trafficked and "cool" street (where some hipsters we'll want it - some clueless hipsters like ourselves who will pay a couple grand to look cool without too much attention to the real rigors of having a vintage car).

Oh, and how much could we ask for? The engine is really in pretty great shape.

- thanks -
Alyn...personally I'd keep it. Our cars are becomming increasingly more collectable especially if they are in decent shape. At the very least, I wouldn't part with it for less than you paid...post an Ad in our classified section if you have to part with her...

·
NECOA Founder
844 Posts
If you want to get outside your local market, you can place it on e-bay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts