El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wifey and I plan on moving to Tucson in about a year, but on a whim we started looking at houses last week. I had already planned a trip to our place in ABQ so I’m here now. But next week I’m meeting her, and a realtor, in Tucson. Guess we’re going to buy a house now just to get our foot in the door there. Once she retires and we can sell our CA place then we’ll look for our “final” house there and use this one as a rental.

I figured on moving a couple of cars there to take advantage of the garage space. I just registered my Jeep for the year so I’m not tossing that money away. The El Camino is due in December so that’ll be the first to become a permanent AZ ride. The good news is that it’s a completely reliable driver so it’s trip out there will have it loaded down with household essentials to earn its keep. Heck; it might even come back for seconds.

We’re looking at places in the Rita Ranch area so hopefully I can hook up with some of you Tucson folk once I start the back & forth life. I know there are a few of you here on ECC.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hope you kept your smog equipment. Not sure but I believe that the Phoenix/Tucson Metro areas require smog tests for 67 and up vehicles. Can a 'Zonie' here confirm that?
Pulled this from the net;

Tucson Vehicle Owners
If a vehicle owner lives, studies or works in Tucson, the state of Arizona requires they pass an emissions test every other year for 1996 and newer model year gasoline vehicles weighing less than 8500 lbs.

And, if a vehicle owner lives, studies or works in Tucson, the state of Arizona requires they pass a yearly emissions test for:

• 1967 – 1995 model year vehicles weighing less than 8,500 lbs
  • 1967 and newer model year diesel
  • Heavy-duty vehicles weighing greater than 8,500 lbs
Smog Check Exemptions for Arizona Drivers
A vehicle may qualify for an Arizona Vehicle Emissions Testing exemption if:

• The model year is within the past 5 model years. This does not apply if a vehicle is rebuilt or specially built
  • A vehicle is registered outside of an Arizona vehicle control area. The vehicle owner’s zip code determines if the vehicle qualifies
  • Vehicles with model years older than 1966
  • Motorcycles
  • Electric Vehicles
  • Golf carts and small electrically operated carts
  • Registered outside of Arizona

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was understanding that if the vehicle has a Classic/collector insurance policy and is an occasional driver it’s also exempt.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I was understanding that if the vehicle has a Classic/collector insurance policy and is an occasional driver it’s also exempt.
Thats good to hear. Best of luck with the move. I wouldn't mind moving out to eastern AZ up in the mountains.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wifey and I plan on moving to Tucson in about a year, but on a whim we started looking at houses last week. I had already planned a trip to our place in ABQ so I’m here now. But next week I’m meeting her, and a realtor, in Tucson. Guess we’re going to buy a house now just to get our foot in the door there. Once she retires and we can sell our CA place then we’ll look for our “final” house there and use this one as a rental.

I figured on moving a couple of cars there to take advantage of the garage space. I just registered my Jeep for the year so I’m not tossing that money away. The El Camino is due in December so that’ll be the first to become a permanent AZ ride. The good news is that it’s a completely reliable driver so it’s trip out there will have it loaded down with household essentials to earn its keep. Heck; it might even come back for seconds.

We’re looking at places in the Rita Ranch area so hopefully I can hook up with some of you Tucson folk once I start the back & forth life. I know there are a few of you here on ECC.
...welcome to Tucson. I'm south of Rita Ranch in Corona de Tucson......great quiet neighborhood.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quite accidentally we found a house via the internet and put an offer in yesterday. It was accepted a couple of hours ago and we’ll be out there in a week to see what we bought. Rita Ranch. Can’t wait!!!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
good lord, what have you done? Dale and Robert in LA, SickMick and Any4xx in Tucson. what's next, Keyser and DoneDealDonnie? :eek:

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ll probably have to meet some of the locals once I drive the El Camino out.

It’ll be several months before I can haul my tools out and while I’m in sound running condition, I learned many years ago that living between two states is always challenging. No matter how well you plan, something you really need today is always at the other place. In the past I’d ended up with two of everything.

Luckily the full transition will take less than a year and nothing really needs fixing. But you never know.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Welcome future Zoni. I left Morro Bay 3.5 years ago and haven’t looked back. My mom in law lives in N. Tucson. Not too far away. I know there are also few Chevelle guys down Tucson way. I’m up in Scottsdale about 2 1/2 hours away. When the dust settles down maybe we can gather a few people together for a get together. I’m not that well versed on emission testing. I think there is an exemption for historical vehicles. Good luck with the move.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome future Zoni. I left Morro Bay 3.5 years ago and haven’t looked back. My mom in law lives in N. Tucson. Not too far away. I know there are also few Chevelle guys down Tucson way. I’m up in Scottsdale about 2 1/2 hours away. When the dust settles down maybe we can gather a few people together for a get together. I’m not that well versed on emission testing. I think there is an exemption for historical vehicles. Good luck with the move.
Thanks! I’m sure that between here, the Chevelle forum, and the Corvette forum I can find some folks that can stand to be around me in short bursts. ;-) If it were up to me I’d be outside of Tucson, and that may just happen in another year. This house is just the foot-in-the-door place to give us a landing zone until we sell our place in KA next year.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts