El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
replaced my multifunction switch the hard way i guess.pulled steering wheel,place and canceling cam off and the spring underneath.finally figured out the turn signal lever pulled straight out. bub my work didn,t go in vain because i could fish new wire through easier. BIG PROBLEM NOW I PUT THE SPRING BACK IN REINSTALLED CAM AND PLATE - CAN,T DEPRESS THE SPRING ENOUGH TO INSTALL THE CLIP !!! PLEASE HELP ! I THINK THERE IS PROBALLY A SPECIAL TOOL which i don,t have access too. can push the plate down evenly but not enough to SEE SEAT WHERE THE CLIP GOES. i need all the help i can get please !!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
How did you remove the clip with out the depression tool to Begin with,did you pry it off,you need the tool to do the job properly.

The Internet and questions on this site can be your Friend !!! and save you a lot of problems !

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well 1 of us keep it depressed with our hands and got the clip out with a screw driver and pick ?? what i neglected to say is there seems to be some up & down play in the shaft also.everytime we depress spring (the wrong way) it seems the shafts drops just a little that we can,t the clip to seat. it had been years since doing this and should have asked first but i always seem to do a backwards. thanks for the reply.i was trying to save a dollar (on disability) !!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
There may be a member close to you that might have one,i bought mine used on E_ _Y
and its one of those things you may never use again. the tool will hold up the shaft , not sure if your parts house has a loan a tool .. if a member here in Texas needs one i would be happy to send it Just send it back !

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lock plate retainer c clip tool

Tool is available at your local parts store. Make sure you buy or borrow the right size for your car. Only use the tool for this job. Quick, easy, safe, and no new words added to your vocabulary.

·
Deputy Director, Region 1
2,566 Posts
Or just buy the tool for $15! What are going to do? Fight this thing all day?

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Auto Zone will loan ya one. Cost about $20 to get, but ya get it back when ya take the tool back. Advanced Auto and O'reillly's have the same policy. The tool keeps the shaft up while depressing the big, round washer (forgot it's name). Just make sure that that "washer" is fitted to the shaft properly. It only goes on one way.:smileyb:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone !! Have an autozone & advance auto , both within 15 miles. Tanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts