El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd venture to say that between the frame, suspension, rims, and motor I could have bought a sick el camino project that was completed. I have about 9 months left of medical school at the University of Miami and then I get a big graduation check and start making pretty good money. I am really thinking of leaving my el camino in the warehouse and just buying a compelted project. Not sure if any of you saw the show winning elco that was on ebay this past week? over 80K of work into it and the guy would let it go for 28K??? are you serious?

If and when I finish this el camino I will never do another project car. I will for the rest of my life buy completed projects. Even if its an extra 10 - 20K... its not worth the head ache or the time you have to wait.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
just wanted to add... I get that its cool to restore a car if it means something to you... or if you are doing the work yourself. I have no knowledge of cars aside from car audio and really have no desire to. I just like to hop in and go fast. So the resto thing is cool if thats your cup of tea but I'd much rather have my toy now.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Live and learn eh. Building or restoring something will never be as cheap as buying. No one can recoup all of their hours and hours of labor. But there is the fun, satisfaction and bragging factor building or restoring your own.

Doug

·
Registered
553 Posts
And hear i thought rebuilding them was the "FUN" part:dontknow::dontknow: guess thats just me:neutral:--Glenn

·
Registered
184 Posts
different strokes

to each his own, if you dont have time on your side, you do what you gotta do! buy it completed or pay someone else to do it. if you are blessed with the know how and time to pursue your passion with your own busted knuckles, than great for you! different strokes for different folks, makes the world go round! even in el camino central

Reactions: Wombat454

·
Registered
543 Posts
It's probably a good lesson and one a LOT of people have learned over the years.

I found out years ago the only sure way to make money building/restoring vehicles is to be the guy doing it for a paying customer. The guy who builds or has someone build the project for him is the one who normally takes the BIG hit money wise when it's sold. As mentioned even if you are able to do all the work yourself, you never recoupe the amount of time you put into it.

You are also correct about the time factor, full on builds whether done by the owner or farmed out can easily take a couple of years or more.

To me it seems some of the good reasons for taking on a build can be quite varied; wanting to see your particular vision become a reality, enjoying the build itself, knowing for sure what you have when it's finished (as opposed to buying a "pig in a poke" from E Bay or Craigslist. For many people (as it seems is the case with El corvino) it's simply the joy of ownership, which isn't a bad reason either.

Good luck in your new carreer, and even if if you don't spend another dime on your project and/or even sell what you have at a loss, chalk it up to gaining a valuable insite into what it really take to put one together. Lets face it if you hadn't gone through it yourself would you have really believed it was as complicated as it can be?

Reactions: Tophog

·
Registered
643 Posts
I chose to build... I want it how I want it.... not how some guy who had some spare parts layin around built it. Plus I can say I did it myself, even the parts that aren't perfect.:beer:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm just hoping that in the next nine months you learn the difference between losing and loosing......
Nope... I'm a math and science guy - grammar and literature has never interested me

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I chose to build... I want it how I want it.... not how some guy who had some spare parts layin around built it. Plus I can say I did it myself, even the parts that aren't perfect.:beer:
See, now thats the other problem. I went into this build knowing that it was going to be done correctly. No corners to be cut, no cheap Chinese parts where they can't be seen. Like you guys said, live and learn.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
Mine was a resto from about 10 years ago so most of the hard work had already been done and the big money spent, however after 10 years things were needing to be replaced. Add to that what I did to customize it and I have spent more than I will (probably) get back out of it. But I realized this going in and I ended up with what I wanted, the way I wanted it! However it's never ending. But I enjoy the adventure, and belive me it is one.
My El Camino is a big thrill in my life, (not a cheap thrill) but something I'm proud of! I myself would not have the time or the money to do a ground up resto. so I paid more up front. I did get a pretty good price on it. And I ended up with something pretty nice!:nanawrench:
It aint over till it's over and you may still come out (smelling like a rose) I did (YELLOW ROSE of TEXAS)
Donny

·
823 Posts
Its called PRIDE IN YOUR RIDE.... I could never sell mine. Hundreds of hours.... Blood, sweat, and beers. This car was a basket case when I got It. No motor or trans. Doors and front clip trashed. No interior either. Took me three years in my spare time, just to get the body work right. Sanded and rubbed cause like she was my baby, and I had a vision. Now ten years later, on her 3rd motor, and second paint job, I still love her. :dontknow: The only service I ever paid for, was machine work on the block. If I was not capable of doing all this work myself, I could have a brand new vehicle in the driveway, but would not have that feeling of acomplishment.:secret:

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
This old rust bucket of mine was all I could afford at the time. But at least I am investing in a cool car that is unique, as opposed to throwing money at my pos VW I used to own. Cars in general are a big $$ pit (new or old).

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
This is my hobby, and no matter how many cars I have---finished or not---I enjoy each. When it stops being fun, I'll buy something with a warranty and become John Q Average --but for now I'm Joe Dirt and got some sytle in my step.........................Dan

·
Registered
188 Posts
its like they say, unless you build it yourself you will never fully appreciate it. just cause you will have money and you buy a car already done doesnt mean that it wont leave you sitting along a road somewhere. Good Luck to you but i'd rather know what i did to the vehicle and that everything was good than to be riding around in something that someone else built, overcharged me for and i didnt know the first thing about. just my opinion:dontknow::smileyb:

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
This is my hobby, and no matter how many cars I have---finished or not---I enjoy each. When it stops being fun, I'll buy something with a warranty and become John Q Average --but for now I'm Joe Dirt and got some sytle in my step.........................Dan
Not too long in the future for some of us those styles in our steps will be waddles.:poke:

·
Registered
643 Posts
See, now thats the other problem. I went into this build knowing that it was going to be done correctly. No corners to be cut, no cheap Chinese parts where they can't be seen. Like you guys said, live and learn.

Who mentioned cheap parts that are hidden?

A small example: I redid my interior, my son and I did the work, my wife sewed it. It looks pretty damn nice, now if you look very close the pleats on the seat backs don't match exactly to the bottom, nobody but me notices, but it's not perfect!

The time we spent working together is well......priceless!

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Not too long in the future for some of us those styles in our steps will be waddles.:poke:
been waddling for a long time already, just had my 62nd birthday saturday but I still enjoy coming to the garage and bending wrenches----I think Mom dropped me on my head one time too many.................dan:neutral:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Who mentioned cheap parts that are hidden?

A small example: I redid my interior, my son and I did the work, my wife sewed it. It looks pretty damn nice, now if you look very close the pleats on the seat backs don't match exactly to the bottom, nobody but me notices, but it's not perfect!

The time we spent working together is well......priceless!
I was referring to some jerk using crap grade bolts to replace body bolts or drilling hockey pucks and claiming "solid body mounts" lol

1 - 20 of 45 Posts