El Camino Central Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Deputy Director Region 6 - 2013 Founders' Award Re
3,661 Posts
My first new car was a 66 Elky, forget all the others before or after I remember it as the start to a 67 a 69 and 3 more restored 69's and one stuck and will never be sold at any price while I am alive. My "EL Chromeo" was a 2 year frame off in 89 & 90 and still going as it is never finished, only done for now every once and awhile. But from about 6 years ago it has been if I buy any more cars to have fun with or resale they must be a good completed ride that only needs TLC and some bolt ons. A it's cheaper and B I can't do the physical part anymore. El Camino's, ya just gota love them, but go to a show of any size and there is 1 to maybe 3 unless it's a meet of ELky's, I have seen a 485 car show (2 years ago) with one ELky mine now is that a high or what you win not matter what and I did, best engine and a mag pic. So drive them easy or drive them hard just keep fixing them. If you just drive one on the street once a week or every day when the guy next to you gives the thumbs up you just won again and that's your win.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
been waddling for a long time already, just had my 62nd birthday saturday but I still enjoy coming to the garage and bending wrenches----I think Mom dropped me on my head one time too many.................dan:neutral:
Happy Birthday again. 62 eh? I could have changed your diapers.

Doug

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Going from this

To this---not always easy or fun.

But going from from the 59 to the 66 back to back------just nutz

from this

and now---this is where i'm at.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Looks nice Brian--when can you do mine????:poke::let_it_all_out::poke::dontknow: glenn

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,585 Posts
Mike , Like many others I have vicariously followed and enjoyed reading about your project . Meeting you several months ago , I was surprized at how young you were to simultaneously be doing such an extensive project , attending college and dealing with day to day life and expenses . . While the Univ. of miami does have a reputation as a party school , it is also an excellent educational /medical institution that requires a great deal of dedication , commitment , study and money . If at all possible I think many of us would like to see you put the project on the back burner for now and complete it when time and money allow . Over the years most of my projects have been sailing catamarans that I poured lots of time and money into. As I look back over the years I`m glad I did it and enjoyed every minute of racing , cruising , slamming the cats around in nasty weather , and the many months spent in the boatyard working and modifying them. Many on this site have done similiar things whether it was cars , boats, airplanes , hunting or raising a family . Good luck with your current projects .

·
Registered
196 Posts
I can't tell you why other people stick big time and money into there cars, but I can try and tell you why I do. Because I love working on the older cars. I love the way they look, the way they sound, and I love the historical past that they come from. Not just the Elky's, but all of them. I'm not a mechanic by trade. I'm a truck driver. I work on my projects as a hobby. Yea It's expenseive, but we deal with that as we go along. To totally restore any vechicle thinking your going to Barrets bringing out big money would be nuts. Oh I'm sure it's happened maybe once or twice where someone has gotten what they put into it, but most of the time people work these things out at a loss because someone started paying on something and than stopped due to lack of funds coming in paying for the project. You wouldn't go to work and expect your boss not to pay you, would you? Of course not. As you go through a project, some things you can do yourself. This is a free-be unless your going to pay yourself an hourly rate while your working on your ride. Nonsense. Only a rich dude would do this and have fun doing it. Than he'd spend all his funds up paying himself. When you pick up a project, several things must be considered. If your not a wrench-dude who likes working on cars, you can still do this, but you will be contracting all your work out to outside contractors and shops who you will have to moarnfully pay to do any of the work for you. These outsiders are not going to work for nothing. Once things get started remember to keep an open mind and pocket book, as not always are others out to screw you, but they find more stuff broke and needing replaced.
You say your in med school. This probably puts you in the mid 20's age group. If your working on a late 60's or early 70's era car, this puts the car at twice your age. I'm not trying to scare you off, but if your thinking restoration, think along the lines of keeping the car. It will cost as much as a new SUV or at least in the $40-$50,000.00 market and thats just getting started. As the project progress so does the cost. We do it for the love of our rides and nothing else. I hope this helps...:nanawrench:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well,
I have to add my 2 cents in here, I agree with the guys that have put their hard earned time, money, and sweat into a project to make it the way they want it, I also agree a little with the ones that pay someone to "make it for them" the way they want it. I myself have gone both ways in my life and now that I've lost interest in restoring my Camino, it's up for sale at 1/4 the money I've put into it the last 4 years... Of course I paid someone to paint it and do all the metal work, but I pretty much did the interior myself to make it the way I wanted it to look. I've owned the car for 20 years and the first 15 years it was just my daily driver because I loved the way it drove and looked, my wife helped me get it painted and I replaced all the rusted metal with new because at the time I thought I'd own it forever and wanted it to be "done right" and not filled with bondo or patch here and there....
Well things change and life goes on, and all those other saying that people say when you get to a certain age and for ME it's time to move on and let someone else enjoy my Bessie for a while.... I'm finished with restoring ANY vehicle in my life and I gotta say it was fun while it lasted, of all of my " projects" my El Camino was my favorite...John

·
Registered
196 Posts
That sweat equity is what it is all about. When you put blood, sweat, and tears into something, you'll tend to have alot more respect for that something...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Lenny Carey - I think I was just deterred from everything because it seems like theres another 5 steps after I turn each corner. You are probably right and when I graduate and have more time on my hands I'll probably want to get this thing on the road.

I couldn't even tell you where the parties are at... I am in the accelerated program so I have 31 more weeks left. Right now I am taking advanced pharmacology, pathology, health assessment, have to put in lab hours, and do clinicals in hospitals on Thursday and Fridays. I better get a good graduation check from the family because I live in my books 24/7. haha

Maybe I'll try to get a good hunk of work done over my 3 weeks off between summer and fall or my month off between fall and spring.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
PS - I am 22 yrs old. I'd say right now I have 45 - 50K into my car between parts and labor but most of the work is done. I have no need to sell the car and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

I think my main frustration is that I have the bulk of the work done (motor is built, rims and all new body parts are in my warehouse, frame is mini tubbed, everything is powder coated, body and all new suspension is back on car, etc.) but the car still isn't driving because of a lot of small things I need done.

·
Premium Member
12,547 Posts
I couldn't afford to send my son to collage so I told him he would have to either get a grant or enlist in the service to pay for it. He checked them all out and the reserves paid the most collage funds. Right after he enlisted 911 happened and he had to go serve a year in Bagdad. Luckly he returned safely and not he's just about got his bactlers degree. As you can tell I barely made it through kindergarden.
So put in all that hard work and time and in the long run it will pay off. Then you'll be making enough you could afford to buy my completed ELKO:poke: If there ever was such a thing
Donny

·
Registered
184 Posts
stay the course

Hang in there El Corvino, sounds like you have your priorities figured out pretty well, it will happen for you and when you get ' er done, you really love her all the more!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Even if you have to leave the project half done, continue you studies dude. Youv'e accomplished more in 22 years than most have in a life time. On day your cards will play out for you, and you will get back to your project. I am working me elky over a 10 year goal. Pops thinks I'm nuts, but he too likes the car. I took Marie out for a ride in it today. I rent her 3 car garage for the car. Marie is 71. I took her out an older back road, brought her to a stop, told Marie to hold on and than I punched it. It set us both back in our seats and sounded great. She enjoyed every bit of it. Brought her back to the house, she wanted to go for another ride. There's nothing like it in the world. Your project will wait for you, the only constrants are what you put on it yourself. Good Luck & Keep up the good work:beer:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
hey pa-elker... post up a picture of your '93 Ford Military F-350 crew cab 4x4. That sounds pretty cool, or is it like a cop crown vic, where all the mods are under the hood and not to be seen?

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've learned alot in doing my own work and also when to know my limitations-restoring-rebuilding is my joy,relaxation,my getaway! But i do get anxious to get the project done and drive it-and sometimes it gets to be a bummer-yep a new camaro 2010 would be nice awesome but you know the original 69 still does it for me-the same with my 74 elky-i will get it done..... going on 3 years

·
Registered
461 Posts
Sorry to hear that, for me the build is the best part of owning a great ride especially when someone ask how did the work and I proudly say I did.
But I can understand it takes a lot of time and passions especially for a busy student or Doctor good luck..

·
Registered
476 Posts
ElCorvino, you should be proud of your accomplishments! What kind of Dr are you gonna be? You see I got this thing in my back,,,,,,,,,,,,,just kidding.
If you truely like your Elky, then keep it and work on it as you can. There is nothing wrong with paying someone else to do the work, if you can afford it. Most of us like doing it ourselves. It just depends on your situation and what's going on in your life.
Hey Bryan,,,,,,, I HATE YOU!!!! LMAO! Do you still own both of those badazz Elky's? I keep joking saying that I'd get rid of my girlfriend B4 I'd get rid of my Elky. I've been foolish enuff to sell other things in hard times, like my double bass drum set and my '76 Harley, but I've managed to keep my Elky. I don't know if that's crazy or reality.
So,,,,, keep turning dem wrenches.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There is something special about working with our hands, cuts, a burn from the exhaust manifold, all the old timers have done it -some men are into it, and others don't want to get their hands dirty...
no issue with guys that can pay for stuff - - its about pride in doing it yourself, about the buddy time,
about cars guys you meet at Hershey, Carlisle, etc. Too few men today want to pull an engine.
Men that can make something out of rust bucket - get my respect.
Trip

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Sorry, but you'll get no sympathy or words of support from me. In the past you stated that your grandfathers money was the source of your financing on this project. It sounds like you frivolously squandered $45 - 50K of his money. You don't seem to appreciate the value of a dollar.

Good luck in your medical career. It'll be something to fall back on if your money tree dies.
I do small projects to earn the money. Luckily I found I was very competent in the business world at a young age. Life is all about luck, and I happen to hit the family jackpot. I don't forsee the money tree running dry, its just a downer. Sometimes I feel I should have just bought a completed, tubbed out el camino instead of starting a project thats taking for ever to complete.

I appreciate the value of the dollar... I just took the bulk of my money from those projects (basically all of it was the minimum) and shoved it into a 30 yr tax free bond so I get money in small increments. Don't be so quick to think im a spoiled little jerk thats just given money or that I have no real world comprehension. :beer:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts