El Camino Central Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
I do it for the fun. I really dont care how much it cost. When i complete a project...and I get a wild hair to sell it...I usually get my money back or I wont sell. I know i will have $10,000.00 plus in my 77...but i will do every bit of the work. I am trying to get a loan to get a place to work on the Camino....and that is going to cost me 50,000.00. But I dont care. money isnt everything. I dont have alot of money...but its just that,,money. I love to build cars and trucks. I will do this till I die.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My 1965 El Camino is my first car project that my dad abandoned. Before starting the work on this car, I did not know where to locate the ignition coil or master cylinder; I did not even know how to connect a battery! My professional is IT Services and understanding vehicles is like learning Klingon for me. I would love to just buy a completed project, but I also appreciate the knowledge I am gaining from this project. I don't need to go to Jiffy Lube for an oil change anymore.

Another project I recently completed was restoring a 65 Lido 14 sailboat. My grandfather wanted to throw it away, and my family told me I need a professional to replace the transom, but I researched and did it myself for under $500. I was quoted $5000 from a professional and the boat is probably only worth $2000.

Medical school is your dedicated project. Concentrate on that and you will have a completed goal you will be proud of.

·
Director Region 6 (FL) - 2017 Founders' Award Reci
4,574 Posts
PS - I am 22 yrs old. I'd say right now I have 45 - 50K into my car between parts and labor but most of the work is done. I have no need to sell the car and don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon.

I think my main frustration is that I have the bulk of the work done (motor is built, rims and all new body parts are in my warehouse, frame is mini tubbed, everything is powder coated, body and all new suspension is back on car, etc.) but the car still isn't driving because of a lot of small things I need done.
Good morning Mike , I hope you see this post as it has been a couple of years since you have signed in to ECC . Wondering how you are doing and and where you are with your schooling . Here in Region 6 , Florida our get togethers have been put on hold for now but hoping to resume when the health situation gets better . Do you still have your El Camino ?

41 - 45 of 45 Posts