El Camino Central Forum banner

Lose glove compartment latch/lock

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  bazthespazz 
#1 ·
The knob that is used to lock and/or open the glove compartment is lose. The knob can spin left or right to about the 2 or 10 o'clock position. This means I have to carefully line up the latch before it will close. The door can also open on its own while driving.
It looks like it was held in place with some sort of calk-like adhesive. I expected to find a lose nut. Anyone know how to get this thing properly tightened?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#2 ·
There should be a nut holding it in place. You'd need to remove the lock cylinder (open door, hold lock latch open, put key in & turn) to see where it is. Could be the PO lost / broke it and used caulk to hold it in. Wouldn't put it past him, I've seen things glued, taped, wired and hacked into place on my Elki..

#3 ·
Thanks. Mine is loose also and I couldnt remember how to take it apart.

I've done it before but its been a year or 2 or 30.

#5 ·
Any suggestions if you dont have a key for the glove box?

I only have 1 key, fits ign and doors but not glove box.

#6 ·
Never mind, got it figured out.

#7 ·
Glove box lock

Well I'm in a similar situation. The original glove box on my '84 was broken around the lock so I ordered one from another member here and it arrived without a key and it's in the locked position. I'd like to take out the lock and swap it with my original so the key works. How do I get the lock off if I don't have the key?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.