El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm hoping someone will be able to give me an idea as to what I should do to fix this..
I've been losing compression in my engine, and I believe I found where.

The line to the right of the oil cap seems to be slightly loose where it runs into the engine. I'm not quite sure how it got that way, or what I can do about it...
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
224 Posts
that looks to be a breather line to the valve cover going into the air cleaner. probably a grommet has gotten old and loose. would cause a vacuum leak and lost power but has nothing to do with compression unless the check valve is faulty and sucking oil.

id suggest getting a grommet from ur local parts store to replace it and go from there.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
When you said you are losing compression,, are you losing power? Is the performance dropping off as well? If so that breather line wont help you at all,,, Is that a 229 V-6? Matty man

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah Matty, it's the 229 V-6.
I feel like it is definitely losing power, there's a sort of hesitation when you drop the gas and it's like it doesn't know you want to accelerate, before it kicks up.
I may not be losing compression? It just seemed like an educated guess.
So replacing the grommet, I'm curious how I'd go about pulling the line out to do it?

·
ZERO MPG
15,367 Posts
Just pull straight up there's nothing holding it in besides the rubber. Wiggle it back and forth while pulling it out.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
that is just the clean air into the engine from the air cleaner it wont hurt or improve your performance what so ever.you need to do a inspect and tune to tell what your problem is. compression should be 130 to 150 on a healthy engine.but look more for even compression than total psi. but if below 120 its really worn out.check you emision system, a malfunctioning egr will kill the performance on a v6.make sure your advance system is working wether you have a computer controlled dist or mechanical one use a timing light to make sure it is advanceing and retarding and doing so smoothly.change your pcv valve,they are cheap and will really screw with the little v6 when worn or stuck.then check your carb for proper function,does it squirt fuel when the throttle is opened.do you see a change in the fuel comeing through the ventury when you throttle it. lastly check the timing chain for excessive slop. pull the dist cap out of the way then rock the engine back and forth by the ballancer bolt to see how much lag you have before the rotor starts to move. 1/8 in is normal,1/4 or more is worn out.lastly check to make sure your exhaust isnt getting clogged. a simple pressure test will tell if it is bad.look for no more than 3 psi back pressure before the cat. a v8 will motor through most of these malidies with little effect on driveability but the little v6 takes very little to throw it off of its game. hope this helps

·
Registered
929 Posts
Has it been sitting awhile? Mine was in the bodyshop for 5 weeks, and didn't feel great when I got it back. 2 tanks of high octane and STP carb/injector cleaner and feels good again. Could also just need a basic tuneup, plugs, fuel filter, fluids changed etc. I wouldn't be too concerned about that loose crankcase vent line, it just runs into the air cleaner to get filtered air. Unless it completely came off it's not causing any damage.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ah, excellent. I didn't want to just grab it and pull without considering the consequences!

Thanks Matty, I'll have to give it a serious once-over. It may just be that the poor 'ole engine is tired after 29 years. :-? The choke has a tendency to stick a little sometimes, she squeaks, has a slight oil leak..

Mike, hasn't been sitting, but could probably use a tuneup, sans oil change. My oil leaks. >.>

·
Registered
555 Posts
Yeah, that grommet and ventalation pipe have nothing to do with your problem.

Sounds like a tune up wouldnt hurt.

When you accelerate and an engine falls on its face, that is usually caused by a lean condition. I doubt your engine is losing compression.

Is the stumble bothering you or does it just feel like a complete turd under full acceleration when it once felt good?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like its had this problem since I got it, though I have to admit I've owned the cruck less than a year. It's just got this kinda gasp when you drop the peddle on the highway, like it doesn't know whether or not it's supposed to go for a minute, then struggles to pick up.
It's a bit of a bother, but what am I going to do, you know?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Seems like its had this problem since I got it, though I have to admit I've owned the cruck less than a year. It's just got this kinda gasp when you drop the peddle on the highway, like it doesn't know whether or not it's supposed to go for a minute, then struggles to pick up.
It's a bit of a bother, but what am I going to do, you know?
I would focus on air/fuel delivery first. What kind of carb does it have?

·
Registered
558 Posts
When I have that that problem in the past it was the accelerator pump in the carb. But could be a million other things I just didn't see that one in the list of possibilities. Also if the choke was stuck close to shut and you stomped on it wouldn't the engine starve for air causing it to hesitate?

·
Registered
555 Posts
When I have that that problem in the past it was the accelerator pump in the carb. But could be a million other things I just didn't see that one in the list of possibilities. Also if the choke was stuck close to shut and you stomped on it wouldn't the engine starve for air causing it to hesitate?
Yes, when the accelerator pump goes bad you get a lean condition when you mash on the throttle. This lean condition causes a miss or hesitation.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts