El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the parade and rally yesterday to celebrate the St. Louis Blues winning their first ever Stanley cup and somewhere in the mayhem my keys disappeared.

Fortunately my husband had the key to my daily driver and I had spares for everything... Except the ignition key for the El Camino :(

Would a locksmith be able to magically make a key from the ignition somehow? would I need to get a new tumbler? Can I even replace the tumbler without a key?

The tumbler has been replaced in the 15 years I've owned the vehicle so if there where to be a code somewhere on the car it may not matter as it would be for the old/original one.

Halp!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
78 Elk, Thank you for the reply :)

So how? Did you have to replace the tumbler or was a locksmith able to fabricate a new key from what was already in the car?

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
I replaced the tumbler. I took the steering wheel off. I can't remember what I did after that. I'll do some research and get back with you on that.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
78 Elk,

Thank you! All good on the procedure, replaced the steering wheel and adjusted the turn signal mechanisim a few months ago to get it to pass safety inspection. I have an original 1979 GM shop manual for the car so that or what cryptic you tube videos I found will fill in the blanks..

The turn signal assembly needs to be replaced anyways so this will be a good opportunity to kill two birds with one rock.

Obviously my upcoming Saturday will be booked tinkering on my car! :p

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for all the help and suggestions, much appreciated!

After further scrounging around the house I turned up the spare key (yaaay!)
At least now I'll know what to do if it happens again.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Wow, a perfect ending to a temporary tragedy. A community coming together along with education.

I have a lock box that has spare keys for every vehicle I own plus the kids cars and most of their houses. I've had to come to the rescue several times over the years. FYI, don't keep the box near the front door. Try a closet out of sight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts