El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my tail lights, brake lights, running lights, and instrument lights. I've checked the fuses. I've got a spagetti mess under the dash, but no more than I've ever had before. It was suggested that I remove the fuse block and check for a short. Any other idea's?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your brake lights and tail lights are on different fuses.Your turn signals and brake lights have circuits in the steering column.Your parking lights,licence plate lights and dash lights on on the same fuse.
Did all of these go out at the same time? Did you replace the fuses or test them with a test light?Sometimes a fuse will look good,but be bad inside the end cap.
If they all went out at the same time and the fuses are good,have you checked the bulbs? if the lights were on when starting(or jump starting) a surge from your alternator could have blown the bulbs.
If not,I would look at a firewall connection or check for power to the fuse box.
8) Shane

·
Registered
221 Posts
Like Shane says they are different circuits. Pick one place and start looking at one thing at a time. Brakes are fairly straightforward.
1, Are the rear light bulbs OK?
2, With a meter or test light check for 12 volts on the yellow and green wires while applying the brakes.
3, If no power in the rear check for 12 volts on both sides of the brake switch. One side will alway be hot. The white wire gets power when the switch is depressed.
4, If you have power on the brake switch, check for power on the white, green & yellow on the turn signal switch connector while pressing on the brake.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spend a week running down possible problems. My dad comes over and lays hands upon the car. The lights miraculously re-appear. He did nothing more than pull on the light switch. Beats me.

·
Registered
5,048 Posts
Left to go to work last night a little after 10pm. Got about 2 miles from home, when the all of a sudden, all these red white and blue lights start flashing on the top of the car behind me. Realizing it was the county Sheriff, I immediately pulled over. He informed me that he was driving behind me, when all of sudden all my rear lights went out including brake lights. Well he could have been a "you know what", but after making sure I wasn't wanted for anything he followed me home and didn't issue any citations. I used another car to get to work. This morning I did a little checking to find that a small gauge ground wire, that bolts into the panel behind the rear bumper right in the center of the car had broke. Just finally corroded to the point that when I must have hit a bump, it finally broke loose. Although my emergency lights worked, they only flashed dimly. If your lights go out, check your fuses, then your connections, and don't forget about the ground wire in the back of your bumper on 5th gen Elkys' if you've lost all your lights in the rear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts