El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove with many places to go today with no problems.

Met up with my girlfriend for an hour, got back in the El Camino, started up and motor was stalling out and the brakes were HARD at top of peddle. No play in peddle at all - just HARD at top of peddle...

Standing on the brakes barley slowed the car down. Maybe 10% normal brakes.

Will pop the hood in the morning to check things out.

Any experience with this or ideas about what is happening??

Thanks!

·
0 Posts
Start with checking the brake fluid and the line coming from the back of the carb for the brakes.

·
Venerated Member RIP
2,918 Posts
sounds like a brake booster issue. The vacuum line from carb to booster may be the issue, or the one-way valve that keeps the vacuum level steady. Had an old mercedes that completely lost its brakes due to faulty check valve on booster vacuum line.

Not sure if the check valve (located where the vacuum line connects to booster) can be replaced by itself, or if a whole new booster assembly is required. I replaced booster on my 66 last year and it seems like the new booster was around $80 from O'Reillys - made a big difference.

·
Premium Member
843 Posts
agree with the brake booster issue.........

·
Registered
109 Posts
x3 on brake booster I've been through this myself I had the same symptoms. I could hear my brake booster leaking vacuum or it could be the line itself also. With the car running you can have someone step on the brakes and the vacuum leak sound will stop or at least it did on mine that's how i figured it out lol.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I've had a booster fail... and the brakes will still worked, but you had to really stand on them. Still, it's an easy check and easy fix if that's the case. I used a mighty vac and made an attachment to plug it into the vacuum fitting. No matter how hard I pumped that thing.. it never built vacuum. Working booster took only about 5 pumps to get decent amount built up.

I've also been at the other end of the spectrum when a line has failed. Old '69 Econoline had a hard line rust through - bam, right to the floor. Good thing it was in the driveway! Second time was a flex line on my Silverado. Still had 3 wheels mostly working or that would have been serious catastrophe (coming off an interstate).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lost my brakes! Fixed my breaks!

Thanks for the responses and the help.

Found that the problem was a vacuum line that has popped off.

Will secure it better so it won't happen again!

Thamks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts