El Camino Central Forum banner

Low beam bypass

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  goodcruiser 
#1 ·
Aight, my low beams are currently having issues staying on... like the high/low selector is messed up... my question is, til i can get it fixed right, can i just disconnect the low beam wire from the selector and run it directly to the battery with a fuse and a switch in the line?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide.com App

#3 ·
Yeah, the highs work, the lows are working for now... but they have cut off a few times, but come back on if i jiggle the lever... the high/low selector is 2 years old, doesnt appear to be shorting... and the grounds for the light are fine and yes ive got the 4 headlights

#5 ·
Which one is the dimmer switch? Ive got the one in my dashboard that turns all the lights on then the one on my steering column that switches between highs and lows...

#6 ·
Actually just came up with two alternatives to replacing the switch: A) install a toggle switch and take the yellow wire that runs from the dimmer switch to the beam select switch and connect it to the positive spot of said switch, then after connecting the ground take the two wires that provide power to the highs and lows and connecting them to the toggle switch so that when its toggled left its low beams, center is off, and right is highs. Would eliminate the beam select switch.... option B) switch the positions of the high and low wires on the beam select switch...
Option A allows use of both highs and lows while option B only allows reliable use of lows if it works..

Would either option even work?

#7 ·
That sounds like a lot more work than just replacing the selector/dimmer switch. Tip: before taking the old dimmer loose from the column tape the rod to the column so it won't slide down out of place.

#8 ·
My 87 was having the same problems. Turns out that the plug at the sealed beams were old and had a little charcoaling going on. i replaced all 4 plugs with HD ones and have had no problems since. I have since installed all new buckets to accept H4 bulbs and now have HID 6k bulbs for my headlights. They make a heck of a difference if you drive back country roads. Highly recommended upgrade. Whereas the Silverstar pull 55 watts, the brighter and whiter HID's only pull 35 watts making it easier on our old wiring systems.

#9 ·
dimmer switch

I took plug off dimmer switch made up jumper wires to toggle switch. Center terminal on plug is hot when headlight swich is on,1other terminal is high &1 is low beam.No need to do anything with ground,turn headlights on & use toggle to control high & low beams. Indicator light on dash will work to tell you what`s on.
Dave B.

#10 ·
the dimmer switch is half way down the steering column on the side twords the parking brake. it is the only switch you can see sticking out of the side of the column.when you look under the dash it is half way between the dash and firewall.oyu have to lower the column to change it but you can get to it to bypass it by reaching under the dash and unplugging it.the dimmer socket usually is burned up.if your is they sell replacement sockets for less than 10 $ i would stay with the original switch and repair as needed. it has gotten this far as the factory built it,its a good system

#11 ·
I thinking that you'll be time and money ahead just replacing the switch without creating a wiring mess,you'll also be happier with it in the long run.
Before you disconnect it you could tap directly on the swotch with the lights on to see if it is the switch(this doesn't always work)but from what you have said it sounds like the dimmer switch.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/s...El+Camino&vi=1042692&year=1984&make=Chevrolet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.