El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Six years ago I had the TH250 replaced in my 4.3L '87 with a TH350, but the mechanic reused the old TH250's lower flywheel cover. This fall the flywheel cover was hanging by one bolt, and I yanked it off the car in the parking lot before going home from work. What lower cover should I use for the TH350 that will also work with the 4.3L? Any sources for new other than my uncooperative local Chevy dealer?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Those dust covers are usually made of plastic and easily break right in the mounting hole if the nut works loose. Once broken, it will hang/dangle down until you remove it, reattach it or just break off at the remaining mounting hole on the other side. If you kept the cover, I would suggest that you attempt to repair and reinstall it. Assuming it fit correctly in the first place.

Last year, I saw one just like yours that was re-attached with an oversized washer that reached far beyond the broken hole. The large washer coverd enough good material to provide ample surface space to allow the nut to hold it in place. If you do this, be sure to use a good lock washer so it will not come loose and happen again. It's a quick and easy fix.

Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts