El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 85 I put on rally wheels and 215/70/15 it was fine. Over the last couple
weeks I paid to have 2 in drop spindles on the front and I put 2 in drop springs & shorter
shocks on rear. I rub in the rear wheel wells plus the emergency cable and a little on the frame
in the rear. And on the front It rubs a little on the outside lip of the fender well and on a hard turn the
frame. I was going to put it back the way it was but I have to pay to replace the front spindles
and buy new rear shocks the other ones are shot. Plus I like the way it sits but I live in Western
Pa. lot of hills with dips. I went to my tire guy and said I was thinking of getting 195/70/15 which
are a little hard to find in a good brand. He said it would probably fix the rubbing but it would
lower truck more may cause other problems rubbing on bottom of truck. Anybody have any
other options I can consider? Thanks Russ P.S I am on a budget

·
Registered
432 Posts
When I bought my 85 I put on rally wheels and 215/70/15 it was fine. Over the last couple
weeks I paid to have 2 in drop spindles on the front and I put 2 in drop springs & shorter
shocks on rear. I rub in the rear wheel wells plus the emergency cable and a little on the frame
in the rear. And on the front It rubs a little on the outside lip of the fender well and on a hard turn the
frame. I was going to put it back the way it was but I have to pay to replace the front spindles
and buy new rear shocks the other ones are shot. Plus I like the way it sits but I live in Western
Pa. lot of hills with dips. I went to my tire guy and said I was thinking of getting 195/70/15 which
are a little hard to find in a good brand. He said it would probably fix the rubbing but it would
lower truck more may cause other problems rubbing on bottom of truck. Anybody have any

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Possibly this tire calculator will help.

For example enter two tire sizes to see the difference
215/70/15 Current
225/60/15 New

Measure ThisCurrentNewDifference
Sidewall Height:5.93''5.31''-0.62''
Section Width:8.46''8.86''0.4''
Tire Height:26.86''25.62''-1.24''
Tire Circum:84.38''80.49''-3.89''
Rev. / Mile:750.89787.1836.29

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Russ, Is your spare also 215/70/15 , or could it be smaller like the original 205/70/15 (or 14) that could be used to test on all 4 corners?

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
It's amazing how much 2" can change things! I'm running 235/60/16 at stock height and had to trim the front of the fenders a bit but honestly, I have hit the maximum for stock ride height and clearance. If I dropped mine 2" it would rub everything at all times.

Joe WIN_20190629_20_30_00_Pro.jpg

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Thanks for the info.
Sampoerna415 If I get a hammer in my hand I might just hit myself in the head to wise me up. Thanks

Old Bear I will check my spare today and thanks for the calculator that shows exactly what the difference
are (I bookmark that) Thanks

87ls5.3 I thought the same thing and i am surprised of hitting that much. Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts

When I bought my 85 the front tires had rubbed thru the splash shields. I took off the dropped spindles and went back to stock and the problem is gone. I run seventeen inch rims on mine. I had a bit of rub on the left rear and a quarter inch shim solved the problem.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks I am considering getting the stock spindles put back on. I appreciate the info. Sounds like a good way to go. Thanks Russ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts