El Camino Central Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a massively tall person, but just tall enough that I think lowering the bench seat about one inch would be really nice. It would help me see the stop lights out of the top of the window better. Just curious to know if anyone has ever done this before. I imagine I would have to pull my rails and have them cut/welded to remove an inch if there is even enough there to remove an inch, but would the bench clear the tunnel?

I wouldn't be totally opposed to buckets, but my bench has a solid lower so I'm missing the inner mounts for bucket seats.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Johnny, a set of corvette bucket seats would probably be your best option. Vette seats tend to have lower frames.

Don't forget to do extensive searches on this site as well as others related to G-Body cars. I'm sure someone has already done this.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Hey, You could try and remove the rear thick spacer from the seat If that's not enough with a longer bolt put the rear spacer you removed from the back of the seat/frame and use it in the front with the one that already there( a total of two spacers in the front and none in the back. This should give the seat a laidback position. Try it .

Doug

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Spacers!

I took out the 4 spacers about 3/8 of a inch and installed a power seat track out of a 85 Buick Skylark. Between the spacers and the power seat option to lower, I fit in the E.C. a lot better! I'm 6'4" Tall and 260lbs! Also have tilt wheel which helps a lot also! :bigups:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did not know about the spacers. I had the seats off of the mount points when I was replacing the seatbelts, and wasn't thinking about much other than putting the nut back. I will have to check and see if they are still there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Best I can remember you could get away with an inch plus lower for the center to scoot around over the carpet. Could push a short stick under the center & slide it around to get an idea. If cutting the brackets down in height, they may be able to be cut once & the upper potion squeezed down into the lower portion & tack welded up.
When I first had my seat redone it got taller with added on foam. When I redid the foam myself later I got it shorter than stock. A lot of padding on bench seats, which is why I kept mine & modified it to resemble buckets. Not all g-body bucket seats are exactly comfortable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm 6' 6". I love the bench seat my 69. I made 2 brackets and moved my seat 2+ inches back. I see the brackets in catalogs. Added fender washers under the 2 front brackets for tilt. My passengers feet can't reach the firewall.
Spare tire? It's in the garage ..... what?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts